Technology at Simmons offers a wide variety of support services, including campus-wide wireless Internet access, phone and email support from the Help Desk, training through the Pottruck Technology Resource Center (PTRC), guidelines on buying a computer for school, and free anti-virus software. In addition, they support all technology on campus, including printers, express web stations where you can surf the internet or check your email, free campus-wide wireless, and a variety of online services, among others. Every student is provided with a Simmons email account, remote file storage which can be accessed from anywhere, and space to create a personal website. You can learn more on the Technology website or you can check out the page made for you:
Need Help with Technology?
The Service Desk is your technology support resource on campus. Student and faculty are also welcome to visit us in the Information Commons in the Library for technology assistance on Simmons standard applications. Visit the Services Desk for more information.
The Information Commons
Simmons has created an "Information Commons" within its brand new, state-of-the-art Library building, where students can access computers, study spaces, and the resources and staff expertise. The Library and Technology jointly provide students with these services, accessible at the following locations:
- The Library Access Services Desk circulates books and reserve materials;
- The Library Reference Desk provides research assistance and help in finding and evaluating information; and,
- The Technology Desk provides technical assistance and help using the Library's hardware and software.
Highlights of the Information Commons include:
- Study rooms, each with a projector, audio system, and DVD/VHS player where students can work together in a multimedia-rich environment;
- iMacs with the full iLife suite to create multimedia projects;
- Equipment available for students to check out, including wireless laptops and headphones, for use in the Library.
The Library also has many digital resources available on the Library website.
Build Your Skills
Through the Pottruck Technology Resource Center current students can enroll, free of charge, in workshops on such topics as:
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Flash
- Video Editing
- Operating Systems, i.e., Windows XP and Mac OS X
Sessions are offered regularly on campus in a modern, dedicated, cross-platform training lab. In addition, 24/7 web-based training is also available. The Library offers one-on-one research appointments and class sessions on how to use the library databases, evaluate the information you find, and find resources in specific subjects.
Beyond the Information Commons and workshops available in the Pottruck Technology Resource Center, students may:
- Borrow equipment including firewire drives, digital voice recorders, and digital still and video cameras from Media Services at no cost
- Schedule production assistance in the Production Lab
- Use the Express Web Stations to quickly check an assignment or other class detail located in common areas throughout Simmons
- Attend a Self-Help Clinic for advice on personally-owned technology
- Contact the Help Desk with questions on computing at Simmons
- If they live on campus, use the dual platform computers located in labs on the Residence Campus