MHC Orientation Day Agenda
- Where does Orientation Day take place?
- How do I prepare for Orientation Day?
- What will happen once I get there?
Where does Orientation Day take place?
Orientation Day will take place in the Willits-Hallowell Conference Center at Mount Holyoke College. For Orientation Day, parking is available at the Willits-Hallowell Conference Center. Pick up a parking permit at the front desk and place it in your vehicle.
How do I prepare for Orientation Day?
To get the most out of Orientation Day, read about the different policies, procedures, and resources available to you before you arrive on campus. Have a look at the information on these pages now and bring any questions you have to Orientation Day. You will find yourself well prepared when classes begin.
When you register for your first semester of classes you will be required to read and agree to the terms stated in the honor system policy. Click this link to view the honor system policy: Honor Code.
You should be thinking about your program of study. You will have the opportunity to complete your Advising Statement on Orientation Day, which will outline your program of study. Information about the various programs of study is found on the Programs page.
Note that these program descriptions are for the GSLIS program as a whole, not for the Mount Holyoke offerings. You will learn more about what is offered at the Mount Holyoke College campus on Orientation Day.
On Orientation Day there will be a workshop on the Technology Orientation Requirement (TOR). However, you may begin work on the TOR now. The TOR is found at:
Finally, if you have not already done so, set up your Simmons email account now and begin checking it on a regular basis. Your Simmons email account is the only way staff and faculty will contact you regarding upcoming deadlines, requirements, and upcoming events. You may also receive emails from the LISSA (Library and Information Science Student Association) listserv, or from any other student group you join while in the program. If you have a pre-existing personal email account, you can have your GSLIS email forwarded into that account. For instruction on how to set-up or forward your email, see:
What will happen once I get there?
Orientation Day begins at 9:30 a.m. in the Willits-Hallowell Center at Mount Holyoke College. You will receive two ID cards, one for Mount Holyoke College (MHC), and the other for Simmons (Fenway card). The MCH OneCard ID is a photo ID. Your picture will be taken for the ID card before the formal program begins.
9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.:
- Check-in and Registration (Willits-Hallowell Conference Center)
- ID Cards—Card Services (Central Services)
10:00 a.m. - noon: Orientation Day Program
- Welcome to GSLIS West
- Welcome to Mount Holyoke College
- Introduction of the GSLIS West Faculty
- Introduction to the Program of Study
- School Library Teacher Program (SLTP)
- Archives Management Program
- Procedures and Policies
- GSLIS Library, Technology Lab, and Classroom Locations
- LISSA Organizational Meeting
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.: Lunch (Conference Center)
1:15 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.: Student Advising (Conference Center)
- Student Advising and Advising Statements
- 1:45 p.m. — 5:00 p.m. Advising Statement appointments
1:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.:(optional)
- Orientation MHC LITS (Library Tour)
2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: (optional)
- Preview of Boston Technology, Library Services, and TOR Q & A (GSLIS West Admin Office)
In the afternoon of Orientation Day, we will discuss Advising Statements. An advising statement is a description of your planned program of study at Simmons. Students can complete this form with their advisor on Orientation Day, or make an appointment for a later date.