Citations to records and papers held by Simmons College Archives should indicate clearly the source of materials used. Proper citation helps both the researcher who may wish to see records a second time and the Archives staff who may be asked to locate complete texts of cited documents. Listed below are examples of suggested citation formats for unpublished materials to be recorded in footnotes and bibliographies.
Please note that unless a book from the Simmons College Archives Historical Book Collection is heavily annotated and those annotations cited, these books require a book format citation. The Archives staff will provide bibliographic information for manuscript and archival collections which have not been fully processed.
- FORMAT: Description, Date, Record Group Name, Records Group Number, Repository Name, Institutional Affiliation, Location.
- EXAMPLE: Anne Hervey Strong to Adelaide Nutting, April 1, 1912, School of Public Health Nursing, Record Group 22.1, The College Archives, Simmons Collage, Boston, Massachusetts.
- FORMAT: Description, Date, Collection Name, Collection Number, Repository Name, Institutional Affiliation, Location.
- EXAMPLE: Jeffrey Brackett to Jane Addams, July 4, 1901, Jeffrey Richardson Brackett Papers, MS 07, The College Archives, Simmons College, Boston, Massachusetts.
Note: Individual references to specific documents rarely appear in bibliographies. If mentioned, such references should be the last item in the entry.
- FORMAT: Location. Institutional Affiliation. Record Group Name. Record Group Number.
- EXAMPLE: Boston, Massachusetts. The College Archives, Simmons College. Faculty Committee and Association Records. Record Group 14.
- FORMAT: Location. Institutional Affiliation. Collection Name. Collection Number.
- EXAMPLE: Boston, Massachusetts. The College Archives, Simmons College. Wylie Sypher Papers. MS 34.
For further information on citing resources, please consult
the appropriate documentation style.
News from the Archives
In honor of "Brave Women, Bold Ideas, Big Change," the Committee of 200's conference being held at Simmons on Tuesday, the College Library has prepared several exhibits celebrating women leaders and entrepreneurs. Just inside the Library's entrance, books about women...
The Convocation ceremony at Simmons College has traditionally served as the official welcoming of students and faculty into the new academic year. Simmons Convocation began as a dedication to the College's founder, John Simmons. In honor of this year's Convocation...
The College Archives invites the Simmons Community to visit a display of selections from the Archives' collection of historical children's books. Books by Lewis Carroll, Louise May Alcott, Beatrix Potter, and others--many dating back to the 1800s--are prominently featured, as...
The College Archives invites the Simmons Community to Think Spring and learn more about some of the College's most fun annual events! The Archives has prepared an exhibit--complete with vintage photographs--on the history of Spring Spree and the Simmons Cup...
- View Complete Library & Archives Hours »
- Please note, after 7:00pm on weekdays and 5:00pm on Saturdays, a current Simmons ID is required for entry to Lefavour Hall. A current Simmons ID is required to access the building at any time on Sundays.