Research & Resources
- Books in the catalog
Use a keyword, author name or title to search the catalog for books, videos, software, journals, websites, career resources and more.
Click on the item's title for more information, and if we have the physical item, or access to an electronic version, the location and call number or link will be provided.
See the catalog help page for detailed instructions.
- Physical books in the library
The quickest way to locate a book is to find the floor it is located on and its call number from a catalog search.
If you want to browse the library, use these maps to determine where items on certain topics and formats (DVDs, magazines, books, etc.) are located.
- An article that says "not available"
Have you found an interesting article in one of our e-resources, clicked on ArticleNow! and been disappointed to see "Article is not available?" You can still get that article!
- First, you can check if it's available at library near Simmons that you could go visit by clicking on "At another local library."
- Second, you can use Interlibrary Loan to request it from another library. This is a quick and easy process that provides you access to resources that Simmons does not own.
- An article from a citation
If you already know the article you are looking for, go to Fulltext Journals from the library homepage and click on the Citation Linker.
Enter as much of the article citation as you know and this tool will search our print and e-resources for the article, and provide a link to the article or physical journal location if we own it.
- Course reserve materials
Materials that instructors place on reserve are located at the Circulation Desk.
You can also see what's on reserve for your course through the Course Reserves system. You'll need a password from your professor to see the reserve list for your course.
- Getting to the Library and navigating different floors
- Maps and directions are available to get to the Library via car or public transporation. Maps of each Library floor are also available: Level 1, Level 2, Ground Level.
- The Library classroom (L225)
Go past the Circulation Desk, up the stairs and turn left.
L225 is the first room on the left. (If you get to the copy machine or the bathrooms you've gone past it.)
- College Archives
Go past the Circulation Desk, up the stairs and turn right. The College Archives will be on your right.
- Where to check out books, reserve items, DVDs and more
The Circulation Desk is located in the Information Commons, on the main floor of the library; it is on your left as you enter through the main doors. You will need your Simmons ID to check items out.
There is also a self check-out station located directly across from the Circulation Desk.
- Group study rooms
There are group study rooms, for student use only, located on all three levels of the library:
| Ground Level
||L023 - L024
| Level 1 (entry level)
||L101 - L128
| Level 2
||L203 - L208
- Alden Trust, Mann, and Crane Meeting Rooms
- Alden Trust: Go past the Circulation Desk and up the stairs. The Alden Trust room will be on your left near the comfortable chairs.
- Mann: Go past the Circulation Desk and up the stairs. The Mann room will be on your left. It is the room closest to the windows.
- Crane: Go to the second floor of Lefavor (one flight of stairs up from outside the Library's main entrance). The Crane Room will be on your right.
- Access E-Resources from off-campus
Students, faculty, and staff can access our e-resources from off-campus. After clicking on a resource you'll be presented with a page on which to Log In to Your Simmons Library Account. Use your Simmons Webmail username and password to access e-resources, including e-books, databases and more, and to renew materials you have checked out.
- Reserve a study room or book a meeting room
Students can reserve a group study room online. You can also view group study room policies.
Members of the Simmons community may book a Library meeting room (Alden Trust or Mann Rooms) via the college room booking system.
- Print, copy or scan
You will need your Simmons ID or a guest card to print, copy or scan. You can obtain a guest card at the Technology or Circulation Desks.
You can also view detailed information on technology in the library, including step-by-step instructions for printing, scanning, copying, and adding funds to your account.
- Renew a book
Simmons Library items can be renewed online by clicking the Log In to Your Account in the right-hand side blue menu of the Library's homepage. Interlibrary Loan items can be renewed by logging into the Interlibrary Loan website.
- Set up and use RefWorks
RefWorks saves and organizes references, and generates bibliographies. It can be used both on and off campus, and makes saving and using references simpler.
If after following these step-by-step instructions you have questions or need help accessing RefWorks off-campus, contact a librarian.
- Check the library's hours
Today's hours are listed in the right-hand side blue menu of the Library's homepage.
The complete Library & Information Commons schedule can be found here.
- View Complete Library & Archives Hours »
- Please note, after 7:00pm on weekdays and 5:00pm on Saturdays, a current Simmons ID is required for entry to Lefavour Hall. A current Simmons ID is required to access the building at any time on Sundays.