A file server is a storage device on a network that gives computers on that network access to shared resources.
Simmons Technology provides storage space on our file servers to all members of the Simmons community where users can save, open, copy, delete, and share files.
Simmons has three types of file server spaces:
- Your own Personal Folder
- Your Department Folder
- One of two Public Folders
- Public — used by faculty and staff
- StudentData — which is used by students but is also accessible to faculty and staff
The primary reasons to store your work on the file server are:
- User and Departmental folders on the file server are backed up on a daily basis.
- You can access your information from any computer with an Internet connection.
- Faculty and staff can share files within their departments or with department designates. Students can share files with other students, faculty and staff.