Skip to this page's content

FAQ: Living on Campus

Frequently Asked Questions for Incoming Students

In which halls do first-year students typically live? How about transfers?

Most first-year students will live in Morse, South, and Simmons with first-year roommates. Transfer students are housed together on the same floor in Morse or mixed in with upperclass students in a variety of halls.

How do you match roommates?

We will match you based on your housing preferences on your housing application. It is very important that you truthfully answer all questions. First-year students will have one to three roommates. Roommate requests are honored if requests are mutual and students meet all housing deadlines.

What special interest communities does Simmons offer and how do I get into one of them?

Simmons offers several special interest communities. We have a wellness community that supports all forms of wellness and substance-free living (South Hall), the Sports Pride Floor (Simmons Hall, 3rd floor), Arts & Crafts Floor (Morse, 4th floor), and the Foodie Floor (Mesick Hall, 4th floor).If any of these communities appeal to you, on your housing application you should indicate your interest by marking one of the special interest communities. Space is limited in all communities. Check out the Communities page for more information about these options.

When will you send roommate information and housing assignments?

Room and roommate assignments will be sent out beginning in late July. Be sure to get in touch with your roommate(s) before coming to Simmons to decide who should bring some of the larger items such as TV, stereo, etc. and if you want to rent a microfridge together.

What happens if we don't get along as roommates?

Using your housing preferences on your housing application we try to make a good match for each resident. It is important to fill out this part of the application yourself and truthfully. If roommates are not getting along, we ask that communication between roommates occurs first. If the roommates cannot work their problems out, they should seek their RA for mediation. If mediation does not work, we will work to find a new room for at least one of the residents, if space permits.

Will I have internet access in my room?

All rooms have Ethernet (high speed internet) connections in them, and the entire campus is wireless. If you have more specific technology questions, you should contact the Service Deskat 617-521-2190.

What exactly is a microfridge and how do I rent one?

A microfridge is a small refrigerator with a freezer and microwave. These are the only microwaves allowed in student rooms. Reserve your Microfridge online or by calling 1-800-637-7567. Students can rent these combination refrigerator, freezer, and microwave units for the academic year or for the semester or purchase one. The Microfridge will be delivered to your room prior to your arrival on campus.

Will I have cable television in my room?

Yes, all rooms are cable ready. You will need to bring a coaxial cable in addition to your television, but it is a good idea for roommates to discuss this.

What phone service will I have?

Most students din that they have cellphone service on campus and little need for a land line. However if you would like to bring a phone to campus you may. You will have free local calling, and a phone number. Since many of our students choose not to utilize the room phone, we do not automatically assign you a phone number. If you do choose to use the room telephone, the number is listed on the jack in your room. Once you have this phone number, please record it in AARC for emergency contact purposes and contact Technology in order to activate the phone. If you have any questions about this process, please call the Office of Residence Life at 617-521-1096 after you arrive on campus.

What is the mattress size?

All mattresses at Simmons are standard twin mattresses.

Where do I do laundry?

There are washers and dryers in each residence hall. You can use quarters or purchase Fenway Cash on your Simmons ID to use the laundry machines. Fenway Cash is like dollars connected to your ID. You can add points that can be used for vending machines, laundry, food in the Fens or Quadside, etc. To add points to your account, go to the Campus Card Office located in the basement of the MCB or access our account online at

How can I change my meal plan?

Fall resident students must pick their own meal plan by going to the Simmons Connection website, LOGGING IN, and clicking on the AARC link at the top of the page. Once in the AARC menu, select the "Meal Plan" link on the left. This will take you to a screen where you have the option to do a "Meal Plan Change." Click on the "Meal Plan Change" link. Click on "Confirm/update Meal Plan". From the drop down menu select the meal plan of your choice, then click the box below to confirm. This plan will be assigned to you for the fall. However, if you pick a particular meal plan and want to change it, you may do so in the same screen for the first two weeks of each semester.

The meal plans are:

  • 225 meals and 100 dining points per semester + 10 guest meals
  • 185 meals and 150 dining points per semester + 10 guest meals
  • 145 meals and 200 dining points per semester + 10 guest meals

How does my room get cleaned?

Students clean their own rooms. Housekeeping staff clean hallways, common areas, and bathrooms, but all residents are expected to help keep public areas clean and organized.

Are vacuums available for student use?

There are hall vacuums in each building for student use.

Is there storage available at Simmons?

Unfortunately, Simmons cannot offer storage on campus other than in your room. However, there are many storage facilities in Boston. Visit the Student Life off-campus housing pagefor a list of storage and moving companies.

Can we have pets?

The only pets you may have are fish in properly maintained bowls smaller than five gallons.

What electrical appliances can I bring?

You may bring approved appliances that use less than 1000 watts of electricity and hair dryers. You may not bring any appliances for cooking such as a microwave, popcorn popper, George Foreman grill, hot pot, etc. Likewise, students are not permitted air conditioners or space heaters.

Where can I smoke?

Simmons is a tobacco-free college, which includes cigarettes, e-cigarettes, and all forms of smokeless tobacco. Smoking is not permitted anywhere in or around any College Housing or Simmons College Property. However, the newly designated residential smoking location for late night smoking only is in the direct center of the patio between North and South Halls, behind Alumnae Hall. Students will be allowed to smoke in this one location between the hours of 11pm-6am. Students smoking outside of this area during this time will be asked to relocate. This designated smoking location is approved for the residential campus only between the hours of 11PM-6AM and will be phased out at the end of this academic year 2014/2015.

I heard that I can only bring special types of upholstered furniture. How do I know if it's okay?

State law prohibits the use of upholstered furniture in student rooms unless it is treated with a fire-retardant chemical and is labeled as such. Upholstered furniture includes couches, futons, and overstuffed chairs. Waterbeds, lofts, and hanging chairs are prohibited in residence hall rooms. Decorations may not be hung from the ceiling or sprinkler pipes. Furniture which contains polyurethane foam will not be permitted due to their increased risk of being flammable. All furniture brought into the residence halls should have one of the following labels:



For more information on Massachusetts fire safety regulations please see the following website and search for fire safety and upholstered furniture.