The Simmons Graduate School of Library & Information Science (GSLIS) enjoys a national reputation. The School is a known and respected leader in the field, with top-rated faculty, prestigious alumni, and two locations: the flagship campus in Boston, and the satellite campus in South Hadley, MA. You can learn more about the range of programs offered by GSLIS by visiting the GSLIS website.
Graduates of GSLIS go into many different fields and pursue a range of different occupations, including school, academic, pubic, and special librarians; archivists; information and database managers; and more. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in these fields is expected to grow at least as fast as the average for the overall job market, and in several cases much faster than average, over the next ten years. You can learn more by visiting the following pages in the OOH online:
- Archivists, Curators, and Museum Technicians
- Computer Network, Systems, and Database Administrators
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
Career Services for Library & Information Science Students
The CEC takes its commitment to students seriously, honoring the Simmons promise to put you first. The CEC is here to help GSLIS students assess your skills and interests and explore your professional options and provides a full range of services to assist you in doing so.
Among these services, the CEC provides tailored career coaching to help you launch your career in library and information science. Your career coach will help you clarify your career goals and help with developing the skills and strategies to attain them upon graduation from the GSLIS program. In preparation for your job search, we will assist you with analyzing, articulating and packaging your academic and work experience to effectively market yourself to employers. In addition, you will receive support in planning and implementing your job search strategy to make informed, effective decisions for your next step as well as future career transitions.
You can make an appointment with a career coach for a one-on-one meeting (see "Contact Us" below).
Career Programs and Events
Throughout the academic year there are many opportunities for GSLIS students to attend CEC skill-building career workshops as well as recruitment events, both on— and off-campus.
GSLIS Career Fair
In addition to these opportunities, the CEC partners with GSLIS to produce the Library & Information Science Career Fair each spring. This fair is a targeted recruitment event and is open only to GSLIS students and alumni. In the spring of 2011 over 20 employers representing a range of industry segments came to the Simmons campus to meet, network with, and recruit GSLIS students.
The Library and Information Science Fair for 2012 was held on April 25, 2012 in the Linda K. Paresky Conference Center. Over 20 employers (see photo, at right) came to campus to meet with GSLIS students. You can find out more on the GSLIS Careers page.
GSLIS Career Resources
- Career Development main page
- Careers in LIS - descriptive information about career options in the field
- Career Links - comprehensive listing of career resources and links to job listings in multiple categories and more
- GSLIS Jobline- carries numerous, up-to-date openings for GSLIS students, prospective
graduates, and alums
- Job Resources page - links to both GSLIS and offsite job listings and LIS career information
- Networking - listings of GSLIS and other networking resources
- GSLIS Salary Survey - access to summaries of GSLIS graduate employment data for the past several years
- Beatley Library Career Guide for Library & Information Science - this career guide, maintained by the Beatley Library research staff, has numerous pages, dozens of links, and a wealth of information for those interested in exploring further
CEC Career Toolkit
- CEC Career Toolkit - visit the Career Toolkit for in-depth information across all the developmental career steps, including self-assessment, career exploration, resumes and cover letters, networking, interviewing, and managing your job search
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Librarian Careers - in-depth information on the profession from the US Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics. See links to related OOH pages under "Job Outlook," above
- Alumnet - register for the Simmons online alumnae/i network
- LinkedIn - create your own account on the leading site for professional networking. Once registered you can join the Simmons LinkedIn Group
Resumes and Cover Letters
From the CEC Guides and How-To's page:
- Sample Resume Outline - Graduate Student
- Sample Resume - Librarian
- Sample Summary Statements - GSLIS Resume
- Sample Cover Letter - Reference Librarian
Job Search and Postings
In addition to the GSLIS job resources listed above and those found in the Beatley Library's Library and Information Science Career Guide:
- CareerLink - Simmons' online job board, with approximately 1,000 active listings and 50 new listings each week
- CareerSpots videos - check out this excellent series of 1-4 min. long videos on a range of career topics
To make an appointment with a CEC career coach, contact us as follows:
The CEC also conducts Weekly Drop-In Hours. Stop by for a 15 minute drop-in session with a career coach if you have a brief question or need your resume and cover letter reviewed.
Drop in Hours:
When: Mondays and Tuesdays, 3:00-4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, 1:30-3:00 p.m.
Where: Career Education Center, Suite M107-M112, 1st Floor, SOM/Academic Building
Career Toolkit for Graduate Students
The purpose of the Career Toolkit is to assist you in your career planning. Whether you are unsure of your career direction or need help with your job search, you will find the resources you need to begin your preparation.
Find a Job or Internship
Meet with a Career Coach
Wondering where to start? Let us help. Drop by Tuesday from 3:00-4:30 or Wednesday from 1:30-3:00; or, make an appointment at a time convenient to you.
Next Career Event
Sep 9, 2014 at 3:00pm at 439 South Union Street, Building 2, Lawrence, MA 01843