The New England Chapter of the Network of Executive Women (NEW) is inviting four (4) undergraduate students from Simmons to participate in their MENTORING PROGRAM!
What Is NEW?
The Network of Executive Women (NEW) was incorporated in May, 2001 and has grown to more than 220 members and is supported by more than 400 corporations and more than 50 corporate sponsors. NEW members are a cross-section of the retail / consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry, representing executive level and emerging leaders from retailers including grocery, chain drug, mass retail, wholesalers, club store retailers, manufacturers, consultants, sales agencies, associations, universities, and media.
The NEW Horizons College Mentoring Program
NEW is very excited to give Simmons' students who are interested in working in Retail / Consumer Products the opportunity to meet and network with professional women in the CPG industry through the NEW Horizons Mentoring Program!
NEW's New England College Outreach/Mentoring Program is partnering with Simmons College for the purpose of building a high quality mutually beneficial relationship that supports the development of women and creates awareness around the CPG and Retail industries.
NEW has four (4) slots available for Simmons' students to participate in the NEW Horizons Mentoring Program. The program will run from October, 2012 — May, 2013.
Benefits of Participating in the NEW Horizons Mentoring Program
- FREE attendance at the New England Regional Networking Event on Friday, November 2, 2012 and one event in April, 2013 (typical attendance for these events is 300 attendees representing 54 CPG & Retail companies at a cost of $50.00 per person)
- Opportunity for students to begin the art of networking and realize the benefits to themselves both personally and professionally
- Participation in two development sessions at these events
- Expanding your personal network of contacts for future networking
- Gaining insights into the pros and cons of various career options and paths
- Increasing self-awareness and confidence
- Support in transition to new role or location
- Having a sounding board for testing ideas and career plans
- Receiving positive and constructive feedback on professional and personal development opportunities
Who Should Apply?
The NEW Horizons Mentoring Program is focused on engaging undergraduates, preferably Juniors and Seniors, with professionals in the Consumer Packaged Goods / Retail industry, both in a one-on-one mentoring relationship and in networking and professional development events regionally. The criteria for a good mentee include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Interested in a career in the Consumer Packaged Goods / Retail industry
- Open-minded and eager to learn
- Willing to accept feedback and take action on it
- Communicates effectively and will actively participate in the mentoring process (eg, ask questions, contact mentor regularly, own the relationship, etc.)
- Has a positive attitude and is excited about their career options
How Do I Apply?
If you are interested in applying for the NEW Horizons Mentoring Program, please review and e-mail a completed Nomination/Application Form along with your resume by Wednesday, September 26, 2012 to:
Andrea Wolf, Director, Career Education Center
Thanks for your interest and good luck!
Check out the STEPS Career Development Plan
To learn more about the STEPS Career Development Plan based on the 5 Step Model and developed specifically for Simmons undergraduate students, visit the STEPS Plan page.
Find a Job or Internship
Meet with a Career Coach
Wondering where to start? Let us help. Drop by Monday and Tuesday from 3:00-4:30 or Wedneday and Thursday from 1:30-3:00; or, make an appointment at a time convenient to you.
Next Career Event
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:30am at Northeastern University Cabot Cage