Message From the Dean
Welcome to the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS). Taught by our award-winning faculty, GSLIS programs feature the competencies needed in the marketplace to lead librarians, information specialists, and archivists into the future. Our locations in Boston and on the Mount Holyoke College campus, as well as our online programs provide students with hands-on learning opportunities in some of the nation's finest libraries, information organizations, and cultural heritage institutions. We are committed to our students' ongoing success as leaders in the library, information science, and archives fields.
Building upon hundred year-old traditions, GSLIS has earned an internationally renowned reputation and consistent national ranking as a top ten library and information school. Simmons GSLIS alumni work in a variety of settings, including Ivy League university libraries, Fortune 500 enterprises, cultural heritage institutions, public libraries, start-ups, information organizations, and are leaders in professional organizations. Employers actively recruit our graduates.
We prepare 21st century librarians, information specialists, and archivists by
- aligning education with the professional competencies needed today and in the future,
- offering specialty dual degrees, accelerated graduate programs, and unique offerings to create distinctive learning opportunities,
- promoting leadership, innovation, and community engagement,
- providing a continuing education program that offers career development support beyond receipt of formal degrees,
- and raising public awareness about the contributions of librarians, information specialists, and archivists to increase cooperation in communities, enhance education, and provide services essential to sustain our democracy.
All of us at GSLIS invite you to join us as we continue to empower libraries, archives, and cultural heritage institutions in various communities around the world.
Stay informed about upcoming developments by connecting with us on Facebook, Twitter @simmonsgslis and by visiting our website at www.simmons.edu/gslis/.
Eileen G. Abels, Ph.D.