All the Things that are Good for You: Broccoli, Shoveling Snow, and Group projects
posted April 18, 2012 8:36 AM by Julie Steenson
You probably remember being a kid and being told, Eat your broccoli its good for you. As a parent, I have had said my fair share of Its good for you moments in raising my daughter. A couple of specific examples stand out: Stacking wood builds character, and I know it is hard to work in a group, but it is good for you.
While I have no problem eating broccoli and I love to stack wood, I have had to eat my words on the group project thing. Just two days ago, on a visit home, as I was stressing about an end of term group project, my daughter gave me a sympathetic smile and reminded me that group projects are good for me.
I have to admit that I wasnt prepared for group projects at GSLIS. I know we will work in a collaborative environment and so learning how to reach our goals with our peers is important, but there have been some real challenges.
Why it is stressful:
- We all have different demands in our lives: school, work, personal relationships, kids, parents, in-laws, to name but a few.
- We all have different schedules.
- We all have different time management habits.
- We all have different organizational styles.
- We all have different academic goals in meeting the requirements of a group activity.
- We are all good at different things.
Why it is good for us:
- Sometimes it is painful and feels like an extra, unnecessary requirement, and sometimes it is a relief to share the burdens of a project, to rely on someone elses expertise and talents.
- Everyone we will work with, whether it be in a library setting, a school, a museum or a corporation, will also have different demands, skills, and goals.
- We all bring something different to the table.
- We all learn from each other.
But the most important reason it is good for us: A group project is a journey that doesnt just teach us about other people; it teaches us about ourselves. Discovering what you bring to the group turns out to be the most important reason that Its good for you.