Assistant Librarian/Reference & Archives/Special Collections, Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg MA
posted April 30, 2013 2:56 PM
Assistant Librarian/Reference & Archives/Special Collections: Full-time, 12 month, Tenure Track, librarian position. As part of the reference team, will participate in the reference and instruction schedules and delivery of services. S/he will manage, maintain and provide access to the Librarys Archives and Special Collections department. A Masters of Library Science from an ALA-accredited program required.
Duties & responsibilities:
Archives & Special Collections Archives Coordination:
- Coordinate the acquisition, processing and organization of Archives and Special Collections; create finding aids; prepare and create reports; answer research inquiries; perform instruction in the use of archival materials; conduct outreach to FSU offices and other local history organizations.
- Lead librarian on digitization projects: identify projects, funding and potential partnerships and manage day-to-day aspects of projects.
- Coordinate processing and organization of Fine Arts Collection.
- Implement and maintain a needs and outcomes assessment; to be integrated into the library's strategic planning process.
- Participate in reference desk rotation, including nights and weekends. Answer both quick and in-depth reference questions by IM, email, phone and for in person customers.
- Conduct library instruction sessions and participate in development of instruction curriculum; especially as it relates to Archives and Special Collections.
- Serve as library liaison to selected academic departments for both graduate and undergraduate programs as well as various campus offices.
- Provide collection development in selected subject areas.
- Promote library at outreach and special events, through social software and other campus events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Librarian responsibilities as a professional may include those in the following areas:
- Participation as a professional in public service.
- Participation in and contributions to the improvements and development of the academic programs or academic services as those programs or services relate to the library.
- Participation in and contributions to the professional growth and development of the College Community.
- Librarians attend College functions such as annual faculty meetings, commencement, and convocations; and participate and carry out assignments for committees and departmental meetings.
Please visit our online jobsite at https://jobs.fitchburgstate.edu for detailed job descriptions and to apply. Priority application review begins immediately and remains open until filled. All positions contingent upon funding.