Volunteer Archives Internship, Belmont Day School, Belmont MA
posted April 29, 2013 2:47 PM
Belmont Day School (BDS) is a co-educational, independent elementary and middle school (Pre-K through 8) located in Belmont, MA. BDS was established in 1927 and has a fairly substantial archival collection that is currently managed through the Alumni Relations Office. We are in need of an intern with archive knowledge and expertise to organize our current collection as well as provide guidance on establishing processes for collecting and maintaining our archives going forward. This internship is for the summer of 2013, with the possibility of extension through the academic year.
Duties: We are seeking an ambitious and enthusiastic GSLIS student interested in contributing time to practicing and applying their archival knowledge and expertise to the BDS archive collection.
Volunteer intern would manage the organization, planning, and maintenance of BDS's collection. Major duties would include:
- Review and assess current archival collection.
- Establish plan and carry out necessary actions to organize archives into manageable and maintainable collection where items can be tracked and easily located. This would include both physical and digital archives.
- Establish processes for collecting and maintaining BDS archives in the future.
The internship would provide authentic archival experience and the opportunity to assume responsibility for the organization and management of an entire archive collection.
Successful volunteers will acquire skills and work experience that would be valuable to their future careers. This is a great opportunity to apply your growing skills outside of the classroom!
Ideally, a volunteer would determine a block of time a few days per week where he or she is committed to working.
- Knowledge of archival management and processes, and an interest in practicing and applying that knowledge firsthand.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative and judgment.
- Energy, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
Application Instructions: Please send an email of interest with possible availability blocks (days and times) and an attached resume to:
Vikki Arnold, Coordinator of Alumni Programs