Application Usability Consultant, EBSCO Publishing, Ipswich MA
posted May 15, 2013 3:09 PM
Application Usability Consultant
We are looking for an experienced Application Usability Designer with a talent for both design and usability. In this position, you will be driving the visual design and interaction design for EP's line of proprietary, internal software applications. The Application Usability Designer is responsible for translating the business requirements into intuitive, engaging user interface designs. Additionally, this individual should feel comfortable leading collaborative critiques and design sessions to solicit end-user feedback. This is a contractor position.
- Work closely with Requirements Analysts and internal customer groups to translate feature specifications into functional designs
- Provides design recommendations on usability, navigation, layout, element consistency, spacing, texture, typography and color palettes
- Establish team-wide design strategies for improved usability, clear navigation, and layout consistency
- Communicate designs using full fidelity mock-ups and prototypes to project stakeholders
- Lead focus group studies and usability testing to gather feedback on feature designs and new enhancement requests
- A Bachelors Degree in User Interface Design, Human Computer Interaction, Graphic Arts, or equivalent experience
- At least 4 years of experience as a visual designer, interaction designer, or a similar role
- An online portfolio of work is required
- 4 years using industry standard design tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Produce sketches, wire-frames, image mock-ups and full fidelity HTML prototypes of user interface layouts, controls and features based on sound user centered design principles
- 2 years creating basic HTML/CSS click-though prototypes from full fidelity mock-ups to communicate designs, and gain consensus
- Strong visual design skills
- A solid understanding of best practices for information architecture and design, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Ability to communicate designs to project stakeholders
- Creative and innovative, strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Passion for design
- Collaborative approach to design
About EBSCO Publishing: What We Offer
EBSCO Publishing is a leading provider of research databases for public libraries, colleges, universities, schools, hospitals, medical institutions, corporations and government institutions worldwide. The EBSCO Publishing Campus is located in Ipswich, Massachusetts along the banks of the Ipswich River. We are just minutes from the MBTA train stop and we provide 75% commuter rail reimbursement. EBSCO Publishing offers a competitive employee benefits package including Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance, dental insurance, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, and a retirement savings & profit sharing plan. Considered one of the top places to work in Massachusetts, EBSCO Publishing also offers a subsidized cafeteria, free coffee, an on-site fitness center with classes, and tuition reimbursement.
About the Information and Technology Department
When you join EBSCO Publishing as an Application Usability Consultant, you will contribute your skills to the Information Technology Department in Ipswich, MA. This department consists of the following teams: database design, development & production, product management, services engineering, enterprise architecture, enterprise business intelligence, enterprise systems development, systems & networking, and application engineering. There are many diverse IT job positions within these teams.
Please apply online at http://www.ebscohost.com/careers1/jobs.php?detail=9409