Bibliographic Database Designer, EBSCO Publishing, Ipswich MA
posted May 14, 2013 4:24 PM
Bibliographic Database Designer
The individual in this position Create detailed specifications for implementing bibliographic databases and associated features for EBSCO's online bibliographic products.
- Analyze business requirements plus third party and in-house data sources to determine the best method of implementing key features for new and existing products within the EBSCOhost environment.
- Write detailed technical database design specifications that instruct software developers how to map bibliographic data sources to EBSCO's proprietary format; includes writing instructions for mapping data to XML and to MARC21 formats.
- Generate descriptions of required indexing tables; specify search tags and search limiters; map fields for authority files; and specify the database display on EBSCO interfaces.
- Work closely with software developers and quality analysts on product configurations and complex data transformations to ensure accurate technical implementation of database functionality and appearance according to specifications.
- Provide troubleshooting support from a technical design perspective for existing products.
- Minimum of two years in the field of librarianship or bibliographic database development or design, including demonstrated experience creating or manipulating bibliographic data in a searchable database environment
- Minimum of two years of demonstrated experience with web-based bibliographic database search and retrieval techniques
- Minimum of one year demonstrated experience with indexing methods as applied to bibliographic data
- Minimum of one year demonstrated understanding of MARC21 bibliographic format
- Minimum of one year demonstrated experience reading and understanding documents in XML format
- Minimum of one year demonstrated ability to balance multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Master of Library Science degree
- Business analysis experience preferred, including project analysis, requirements production and management, process flow documentation
- Experience reading or writing XSLT preferred
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Excellent technical communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with standard bibliographic format standards (e.g. DUBLIN CORE, METS, MARC21) preferred
- Excellent verbal communication; Excellent written communication; Positive attitude & team player; Strong analytical abilities.
About EBSCO Publishing: What We Offer
EBSCO Publishing is a leading provider of research databases for public libraries, colleges, universities, schools, hospitals, medical institutions, corporations and government institutions worldwide. The EBSCO Publishing Campus is located in Ipswich, Massachusetts along the banks of the Ipswich River. We are just minutes from the MBTA train stop and we provide 75% commuter rail reimbursement. EBSCO Publishing offers a competitive employee benefits package including Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance, dental insurance, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, and a retirement savings & profit sharing plan. Considered one of the top places to work in Massachusetts, EBSCO Publishing also offers a subsidized cafeteria, free coffee, an on-site fitness center with classes, and tuition reimbursement.
About the Information and Technology Department
When you join EBSCO Publishing as a Bibliographic Database Designer, you will contribute your skills to the Information Technology Department in Ipswich, MA. This department consists of the following teams: database design, development & production, product management, services engineering, enterprise architecture, enterprise business intelligence, enterprise systems development, systems & networking, and application engineering. There are many diverse IT job positions within these teams.
Please apply online at http://www.ebscohost.com/careers1/jobs.php?detail=8688