Head of Access Services, Williams College Libraries, Williamstown MA
posted May 6, 2013 7:04 PM
Williams College Libraries seeks a collaborative, innovative and user-oriented librarian to lead its Access Services Department. Reporting to the College Librarian, the Head of Access Services is a member of the library's leadership team and oversees all aspects of circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, document delivery and consortial resource sharing. S/he must have a strong commitment to public service and a vision for implementing creative services and utilizing emerging technologies to meet the changing needs and expectations of our users. This is a full-time, 12 month administrative staff position.
The opening of the new Sawyer Library in 2014 offers exciting and unique opportunities for the Head of Access Services. In this new environment, this person will have the chance to develop and implement innovative user services in support of the research and curricular needs of the Williams faculty and students. To learn more about the library construction project visit: http://newsawyerlibrary.williams.edu
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages all aspects of circulation and reserves for Sawyer Library. Oversees the Interlibrary Loan department and the off-site Library Shelving Facility.
- Supervises a staff of 12. Leads departmental planning and policy development. Assigns staff to meet departmental priorities and goals.
- Configures and maintains the Libraries' circulation profile and circulation functions in Innovative Interfaces. Collaborates with the Head of Library Systems who provides technical specifications and support.
- Chairs the Libraries' Circulation & Reserve Committee; in consultation with the Head of Library Systems, the Head of the Schow Science Library and the Head of Research Services, develops, reviews and updates circulation policies and procedures.
- Works closely with the Head of Research Services to ensure the provision of seamless public services.
- Generates and analyzes statistics on the use of collections and facilities. Proactively seeks ways to improve delivery methods and workflows to meet changing user needs and emerging technologies.
- Participates in library strategic planning and works collaboratively with other library department heads to carry out the Libraries' strategic goals.
- Works with consortial partners (Boston Library Consortium and NExpress) and represents the College on various resource sharing committees.
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
- 3-5 years library experience
- Supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to lead and manage staff, processes and workflows
- Experience with developing, implementing and managing an ILS circulation module
- Demonstrated understanding of resource sharing and delivery services in libraries
- Strong knowledge of emerging technologies applied to resource sharing and delivery services
- Demonstrated user-oriented approach to service
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to strategic planning
- Flexibility, initiative and the ability to work creatively, collaboratively and effectively, both as a team member and independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, and the ability to provide exceptional service to a diverse clientele
- Commitment to the values of a liberal arts education, and an appreciation for a highly-engaged faculty, staff, student and alumni population
- Academic library experience
- Hands-on knowledge of Innovative Interfaces circulation functions
- Experience providing user support at library public services desks
- Experience working in interlibrary loan, document delivery or reserves
- Familiarity with off-site high density shelving facilities
- Work in a consortial environment
For optimal consideration please submit application materials by May 15, 2013. Email résumé materials, including job number Job #300881-, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.