Library Assistant, Technology, Simmons College, Boston MA
posted May 22, 2013 5:52 PM
Job Category: Non-exempt Staff
Hours per week: 35, including some evening and weekend hours
Note: This is a pre-professional position. Eligibility is limited to qualified students currently enrolled in Simmons GSLIS program.
Summary Description of Position:
This position supports Library technology needs under the supervision of the Systems & Web Applications Librarian. Responsibilities include supporting the Library ILS and other library systems and software programs; assisting in web application development and enhancement: providing first tier hardware support for staff machines; and hiring and training student workers. (see HR website for full job description)
- Offer support for the Library ILS and other major systems and software programs
- Assist in troubleshooting, maintenance, enhancements, and system upgrades
- Provide training to library staff and patrons on technology systems and tools
- Participate in the implementation and support of library applications and technology systems
- Assist in maintaining and updating Library websites and web applications
- Provide assistance with setting up new Library web applications
- Provide first-tier hardware support to staff and service point machines
- Troubleshoot and diagnose hardware issues
- Request support and resolution for technology issues from Technology
- Employ technology and systems to optimize library processes and operations
- Contribute to the development of processes related to library operations and planning
- Staff Reference services for one three-hour shift per week
- Bachelor's degree and current enrollment in the Simmons GSLIS program.
- Relevant experience and completion of no more than 3 GSLIS courses.
- Basic understanding of HTML & CSS web markup languages
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases
- Keen interest in Library technology and a high aptitude for technology systems
- Competent numeracy skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Experience with an ILS and Microsoft Office Suite
- Interest in emerging technology
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to Simmons HR site https://jobs.simmons.edu. We will begin reviewing resumes on June 7, 2013.