Project Associate II, Education Development Center (EDC), Waltham MA
posted May 28, 2013 3:05 PM
PROJECT MANAGER, (Information Services Manager, Suicide ASSOCIATE II Prevention Resource Center)
Grade 9 - MANAGEMENT - REFERENCE #: PAII041713
Regular - Full-Time Position; Waltham, MA
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world's leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world's most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Suicide Prevention Resource Center in the Health and Human Development Division has an opening for a Project Associate (II) (Information Services Manager), reporting to the SPRC Director of Operations and Resources, in Waltham, MA.
The Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) is funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration to promote a public health approach to suicide prevention. SPRC is hiring a manager of its Information Services team. This team compiles, synthesizes, and disseminates accurate, timely and useful research and resources to professionals in the field of suicide prevention. The manager will be responsible for ensuring that SPRC's weekly e-newsletter, website, library services, social media, and print and electronic publications are engaging, authoritative, up-to-date, and meet audience needs. The manager should be familiar with information technology, including monitoring and synthesizing new research in public health and behavioral health; website content management; product development and marketing; and how to use various media to communicate public health and behavioral health messages. With direct supervision over several professional staff and a role on SPRC's management team, the manager needs to be able to coordinate the workflow of the team members and value a collaborative approach within and among teams.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The Project Associate provides support to project staff, including:
• Serving as backup to manager when needed
• Managing project budget
• Monitoring contractual compliance
• Maintaining records
• Preparing recommendations
• Drafting performance reports
• Writing and developing materials
• Disseminating information, including website content
• Developing presentations
• Managing administrative procedures
• Contributing to design and implementation of business monitoring systems
• Suggesting ideas for improved efficiency or future focus
• Supporting project procurement
• Identifying &recruiting technical consultants; developing their scope of work
• Coordinating proposal development
Specific responsibilities of SPRC's Information Services Manager:
- Supervises librarians and the technology associate
- Ensures the accuracy, usefulness and timeliness of SPRC's e-newsletter and makes effective use of social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and blogging.
- Ensures the SPRC website content is clear, engaging, up to date, and relevant to the audience
- Manages the development, editing, and marketing of educational/informational materials on a range of suicide prevention topics
- Coordinates and assists team members in monitoring, synthesizing and archiving new research and information from government agencies, national organizations, and other sources.
- Coordinates and assists the Information Services team in providing literature reviews and responses to queries from SPRC staff and professionals in the field.
- Manages requests for information from the media
The Project Associate
• Coordinates administrative and logistical tasks
• Coordinates project start-up
• Facilitates project teamwork and feedback exchanges
• Collaborates on troubleshooting complex problems, proposing initiatives and recommending or negotiating solutions
• Acts as liaison between home offices and field-based staff
• Coordinates communications and project activities
• Trains and provides guidance or administrative direction to junior staff
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
• Bachelor's degree
• Master's degree or equivalent combination of training & experience preferred
• With Bachelor's degree, at least 5 years research, education, international development or administrative coordination experience, requiring computer competence
• With Master's degree, at least 4 years related experience (as above)
• Some prior project leadership or supervisory experience preferred
• Demonstrable organizational and troubleshooting skills
• Strong analytical skills and aptitude for details
Specific qualifications for the SPRC Information Services manager:
- Customer service orientation and ability to be responsive and helpful to SPRC's staff and audience
- Experience managing website content and using social media to communicate public health and behavioral health messages
- Experience with information technology, including public health and/or behavioral health databases and online research tools
- Experience managing the development, editing, and marketing of educational/informational materials for a variety of public health and/or behavioral health audiences
- Background in mental health, public health and/ or suicide prevention
- Ability to manage and nurture staff