Public Services Librarian, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee WI
posted May 28, 2013 3:57 PM
Reports to: Assistant Library DirectorDirectly Supervises: 2.5 Library Assistant IIIs, 1 Evening Coordinator, 0.50 Systems Specialist
Manages personnel, resources and services of Todd Wehr Library Circulation, Reserve, and Media Center operations to provide access to library collections for faculty, staff, students and other library users. Responsible for the maintenance of physical condition and arrangement of library collections. Provides timely and thorough reference service to faculty, staff, students and other library users, using print and electronic resources. Provides oversight of management of the library's Integrated Library System. Coordinates library's internal document delivery service.
Build Trust: Operate with transparency, no hidden agenda; place confidence in colleagues, give proper credit to others. Follow through on agreed upon actions. Treat sensitive or confidential information appropriately. Keep emotions under control. Exhibit ethical and moral behavior in everyday business conduct.
Foster Communication: Demonstrate ability to carefully listen to others at all levels of the organization. Seek and listen to feedback and be approachable. Express thoughts and ideas effectively. Display and promote cross cultural sensitivity.
Display Stewardship: Understand business implications of decisions. Conserve organization resources. Look for ways to improve and promote quality. Take personal responsibility. Use resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
In order of importance
- Manage Todd Wehr Library Circulation, Reserve and Media Center operations to provide users with access to materials and services. Supervise, train, and schedule day, night, and weekend staff to ensure coverage all hours that the library is open (97 hrs/wk). Maintain high level of customer service and respond to user complaints. Develop and maintain policies and procedures for Circulation functions of the library. Assign coverage at branch libraries whenever needed to keep those libraries open.
- Manage the Library on Request internal document delivery service including assigning staff, troubleshooting problems, setting policies, and managing workflow. MCW Libraries' staff process approximately 13,000 requests per year to support the work of faculty, students, residents and other users.
- Support Family Medicine programs such as the Winter Refresher.
- Responsible for physical management of library collections, ensuring ready availability of physical library materials and informing other librarians concerning problems with electronic formats that might develop at night or on weekends when the Circulation department is open and other library departments are closed.
- Maintain proficiency in use of the Circulation functions of the Integrated Library System (ILS); investigate new features; train staff on procedures related to the ILS. Lead the library in long-term planning for the Integrated Library System. Take a leadership role in troubleshooting problems and implementing new services related to the ILS.
- Use print tools, online databases, Internet sources and library research skills to provide reference service to library users. Provide literature searches and bibliographic verification using a variety of databases. Teach library classes and update class-related user guides.
- Select books and other resources for purchase for the library collection.
- Maintain personal continuing education by means of meeting attendance, CE classes, seminars, electronic discussion lists and professional reading. Keep current with advances in information resources and technology, computerized information retrieval systems, and the Internet and share information with other library staff.
- Assist with special projects.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Appropriate education and/or experience may be substituted on equivalent basis
Education: Master's Degree in Library & Information Science
Experience: Two years' supervisory experience in an academic, special or medical library in public service department. Preferred: Experience in a medical library.