Assistant to the Associate Director for Library Services, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst MA
posted June 4, 2013 3:08 PM
The University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks candidates for the position of Assistant to the Associate Director for Library Services. As the largest public academic research library in Massachusetts, we are a key partner in teaching, learning, and research at UMass Amherst and in the Commonwealth. By combining the latest information technology with excellent public service, the staff builds and maintains a rich information environment, facilitates access to it, and creates a place that functions as a hub of campus and community scholarly activity. The Assistant to the Associate Director for Library Services will provide administrative and project management support for the Associate Director for Library Services. Assist in facilitating communication among the Associate Director, his or her direct reports, and Library Services staff. Keep current with trends in the library and information management professions. Advise the Associate Director on trends as appropriate to the University Libraries for the benefit of students, faculty, staff, and community users. Work collaboratively with library staff on behalf of the Associate Director.
- Master's degree in library science - or equivalent degree - from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or its appropriate equivalent in librarianship from another country, or have appropriate equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a comparable academic library.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Demonstrated evidence of professional initiative and entrepreneurial ethos.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including written, verbal and public speaking. Very good group facilitation skills.
- Ability to interact effectively and work productively, collegially, cooperatively, and collaboratively with a variety of individuals and groups in a changing environment.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual abilities and experienced problem-solving skills
- Strong service orientation.
- Understanding of the role assessment plays in a complex organization. Ability to engage with others to deploy assessment to improve services, collections, and workflows.
- Knowledge of current trends shaping higher education, the scholarly research environment, and the ability to interpret them in relation to the Library's collections.
- Preferred: Ability to conceive and implement long-term strategies and achieve short-term goals.
The University of Massachusetts is strongly committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. As part of a commitment to its own multicultural community, the Library seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace University initiatives and aspirations.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH ADVERTISED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
APPLICATIONS: Preference will be given to applications received by June 14, 2013. Send letter of interest, résumé, and the names of three professional references, to: Assistant to the Associate Director for Library Services Search, Library Administrative Office, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, 154 Hicks Way, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003-9275 or email us at email@example.com.
For information about the University and the Library, and a copy of the official job description, see our web site: http://www.library.umass.edu/jobs