Children's Services Branch Librarian, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted June 25, 2013 9:19 PM
$42,264.64 - $61,508.10 annually; $20.25 - $29.47 hourly
A beginning professional position under the immediate supervision of the Children's Services Branch Manager with responsibility for connecting library customers with the information they seek and developing and implementing engaging library programs, collections and services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Creates amazing experiences for library customers and connects them with the information they seek.
- Provides exemplary reference and reader's advisory service for customers; looks for opportunities to help library customers feel welcome.
- Demonstrates use of basic and specialized reference tools, computer, equipment, etc. for customers.
- Builds, manages, maintains and promotes extraordinary collections in all formats for branches.
- Plans and implements inventive programming for teachers, children, and families.
- Makes connections, reaches out and represents the library to the community.
- Works with library staff in cooperation with school staff to establish robust collection and programming to support literacy and school curriculum.
- Performs a variety of direct public service work such as, but not limited to, conducting bibliographic searching, issuing cards, checking out materials, performing readers' advisory services and assistingcustomers.
- Utilizes the best technological developments to create exemplary user experience.
- Collaborates with a team of professional and paraprofessional staff and with other city agencies and organizations.
- Takes pride in library, creating and maintaining beautiful displays and spaces.
- Stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship.
- Leads and works with joy.
- May assist with scheduling, supervising and evaluating pages, interns and volunteers for branches.
- Performs other tasks, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work unit and level of responsibility.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Understand library customers and excel when working with children, teens, parents, students and adults who work with children
- Demonstrate knowledge of search skills and best resources for children
- Show commitment to providing outstanding customer service to children
- Share your delight in children's literature for children and teens
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (continued):
- Demonstrate proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Engage others who are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience
- Initiate, organize, and self-direct work responsibilities under moderate supervision
- Collaborate, create positive working relationships, inspire fun while working with a team
- Work cooperatively with all staff
- Embrace opportunities to learn in a changing environment
- Excel when communicating both verbally and in writing
- Listen actively and patiently
- Show enthusiasm and flexibility
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Push carts and bins loaded with library materials
- Reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights
Education: M.L.S., including graduate credit in children's services, from a library school accredited by the American Library Association or approved by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Experience: Relevant experience in libraries, bookstores, schools and/or experience working with children is preferable; supervision experience is preferable
Schedule: Includes evening and weekend assignments and working at other locations
Travel: Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner
Other: Knowledge of Spanish and/or other languages is desirable
Experiences with integrated library system, such as Evergreen ILS
All inquiries should be forwarded to the City of Worcester's Human Resources office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, July 5, 2013.
The information in this summary indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.