Children's Services Branch Manager, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted June 25, 2013 9:17 PM
$48,567.81 - $70,816.76 annually; $23.27 - $33.93 hourly
A professional, supervisory position under the direction of the Youth Services Coordinator. Creates amazing experiences for library customers and connects them with the information they seek.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises and evaluates superlative multi-branch youth library operations; makes recommendations and takes appropriate action.
- Maintains the most up-to-date knowledge of the wide variety of services for children.
- Participates in fulfilling system-wide goals and developing and implementing policies/procedures for branch services for youth.
- Builds, manages and promotes extraordinary collections for children and families.
- Leads and works with joy.
- Connects customers with the best bibliographic searches/inquiries using every possible resource.
- Hosts, coordinates, creates, conducts and implements innovative programming for teachers, children, and families.
- Monitors physical maintenance and determines need for repairs and improvements.
- Recommends and monitors multi-branch youth library budgets.
- Assists with preparing bid specifications, when necessary.
- Participates in selecting and training enthusiastic staff.
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Supervises, schedules, coordinates, and evaluates multi-branch staff.
- Provides assistance directly to customers on the use of library services.
- Interprets goals and policies to customers and staff.
- Stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship.
- Develops strong partnerships with administration and other appropriate school and community agencies.
- Acts as Librarian-In-Charge when assigned.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work unit and level of responsibility.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Commitment to outstanding public service for children.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate with professional and paraprofessional staff about concepts, ideas, and requirements.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Experience and familiarity with reference services, print and electronic resources for children.
- Knowledge of child development and their implications for library service to children.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of and passion for children's literature.
- Knowledge of the philosophy and functions of a public library.
- Ability to plan short-term and long-term work objectives with staff.
- Ability to assign tasks and to follow-up to ensure quality of work and completeness of tasks.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
- Ability and willingness to assume responsibility.
- Ability to effectively respond to needs of customers.
- Ability to organize, direct, coordinate, coach and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to resolve conflict with staff/customers.
- Push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Thorough knowledge of the practical application of computer operations.
Education: M.L.S., including graduate credit in children's services, from a library school accredited by the American Library Association or approved by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
Experience: Relevant experience in libraries, bookstores, schools, teaching certificate/experience and/or other work with children is preferable; personnel management; minimum of 2 years supervision experience
Schedule: Includes evening and weekend assignments and working at other locations
Travel: Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
Other: Knowledge of Spanish and/or other languages is preferred
Experiences with integrated library system, such as Evergreen ILS
All inquiries should be forwarded to the City of Worcester's Human Resources office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, July 5, 2013.
The information in this summary indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.