Children's Services Librarian (Part time), Stoughton Public Library, Stoughton MA
posted June 3, 2013 4:55 PM
CHILDREN'S SERVICES LIBRARIAN (Part-Time) 10/12
Brief Description: Children's Services Librarian position will assist in managing our children's collection and programs. This position requires the ability to provide library services to a very active and diverse population of children and their families. This person must be able to interact well with children and adults, as well as select, catalog, process, weed and manage budgets for the children's collection and plan, advertise and present a variety of programs throughout the year, as well as during the annual summer reading program. This is a part-time non-union position without benefits for up to 19 hrs/week.
Qualifications: MLS degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college and at least 3 years of public library experience, along with excellent written and oral communication skills. Familiarity with the SIRSI system preferred. Will also be responsible as person in charge of the building one evening per week and one Saturday per month. Physical requirements include ability to stand, bend, lift and unpack boxes.
- Maintains collection of children's materials, selection, cataloging, processing, weeding, and monitors budget for this collection.
- Develops and implements special library programs for children through grade six and their families.
- Prepares special booklists and displays of interest to children and their families.
- Provides library orientation programs for all second and sixth graders in the
system as well as others groups upon request. Stoughton Public School
- Develops and maintains cooperative relations with school personnel.
- Acts as reader's advisor to children, parents and teachers.
- Attends professional meetings.
- Performs circulation and desk duties as necessary.
- Responsible for supervision of library and staff during some evening and weekend hours.
- Administers library's automation system as it relates to assigned department.
- Implements computer applications and trains the public in computer use.
- Knowledge of automated library systems and PC applications.
- Inputs and deletes records on the library computer system.
- Performs related library tasks as directed.
- Provides in-depth reference service to all age groups.
- Considerable knowledge of library science, data processing and automation.
- Considerable knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with others.
- Ability to use indexing system in practice in the library.
- Ability to supervise others.
- Ability to handle a great many details, some simultaneously, with accuracy.
- Ability to acquire skills in performing supervision over one or more library units.
- Skill in interpersonal relations using tact and diplomacy.
SALARY RANGE: $23.75 - 38.70
Please send resume and references to:
Patricia Basler, Director
or fax to 781-344-7340