Coordinator of Library Reference and Instruction, Quinsigamond Community College, Worcester MA
posted June 24, 2013 8:23 PM
POSITION: COORDINATOR OF LIBRARY REFERENCE AND INSTRUCTION (Coordinator of Library Services, MCCC Grade 6)
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
As leader of the Reference Team, the Coordinator of Library Reference and Instruction coordinates the delivery of library reference and instructional services, ensuring that the Alden Library is a responsive and vital academic resource for QCC's students, faculty, and staff.
Reports to the Dean for Library and Academic Support Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership in initiating, promoting and providing a full range of quality individual library reference services and group information literacy sessions.
- Establishes an excellent working relationship with QCC full and part time faculty in order to enable and facilitate their access to materials and services which support their instructional needs.
- Provides professional development workshops for faculty in the use of the library's services and resources.
- With other members of the Reference Team, provides library instruction sessions, introducing Alden Library collections and services in person and to remote users
- Prepares course-specific materials to support students' research needs.
- Remains current with changing information delivery systems and new technologies.
- Serves as a team member in the collection development process which includes selecting new materials and weeding outdated resources. The Reference Librarian has primary responsibility for coordinating the selection of reference materials.
- Contributes to the development of Alden Library services by serving on related on-campus advisory and planning committees and attending meetings of off-campus networks and consortia.
- Cooperates with all library staff to ensure that the library is open and services are available during all advertised hours.
- Coordinates reference desk and library instruction schedules, ensuring excellent communication among library staff concerning the delivery of these services.
- Prepares, collects, maintains and manages records regarding the use of reference and instructional services (including, for example, database use statistics and user satisfaction surveys) in order to assess and strengthen services.
- Actively supports the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the classroom; strives to create and support a student-centered environment while fostering academic innovation and excellence.
- Works actively with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork. Respects the function of dissent in an academic institution while advancing a collegial atmosphere of campus collaboration.
- Embraces the ideals of diversity and inclusiveness and supporting the equal rights of all people by advancing the understanding and appreciation of differences including age, race, gender, ability, religious convictions, socio-economic status, ethnic heritage, or sexual orientation.
- Provides flexible, responsive and high quality service to all, be they students, community, or staff, and continuously assessing processes and procedures and revising accordingly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MLS from an ALA Accredited Library/Information Science program.
- Three years of progressively responsible library experience in a modern automated college library.
- Extensive experience in teaching library orientation and information literacy sessions to individuals and groups.
- Extensive experience providing reference service using print and electronic resources.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Experience working in a Community College library.
- Experience creating Libguides or other multimedia reference resources.
- Experience with chat reference and social media in library work.
- Experience providing reference and instruction for distance education.
Salary is commensurate with MCCC salary schedule and dependent upon such factors as education and experience. Minimum starting salary is $55,391 per year. Anticipated starting annual salary range of $55,391 to $65,000 and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Work schedule includes requirement of one evening per week.
Applicants should visit our website at www.QCC.edu for information about our college and must apply online by July 7, 2013. All internal applicants should be aware that their application for this vacancy constitutes permission for review of their personnel file. Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI/SORI) request. Bilingual persons are encouraged to apply. Quinsigamond Community College is an equal opportunity affirmative action college supporting diversity.