Digital Repository Specialist, Purdue University Libraries, West Lafayette IN
posted June 3, 2013 4:43 PM
Purdue University Libraries seeks a highly motivated, intellectually curious, and reliable Digital Repository Specialist to support the creation of unique digital collections in Purdue University Libraries. Responsibilities of the Digital Repository Specialist will be split between the development of Human-Animal Bond Research Institute (HABRI) Central, (a grant-funded online resource focused on the health benefits of the human/animal bond--H/AB) and, to a lesser extent, the licensing and upload of content to the Purdue e-Pubs institutional repository.
HABRI Central represents a unique collaboration between a library, a publisher, and a disciplinary center. It is comprised of a bibliography of published and unpublished literature relevant to H/AB studies, a repository of full text and data resources, an online publishing venue, and digital community workspace built on the HUBzero software "platform for scientific collaboration" developed at Purdue University. The Digital Repository Specialist will be responsible for maintaining the repository component of the project, including licensing content from publishers and describing and uploading previously unpublished materials, both visual and textual.
Purdue e-Pubs is the University's institutional repository and contains almost 30,000 documents of Purdue scholarship with over one million downloads annually. It is built on the Digital Commons platform. The Digital Repository Specialist will assist the manager of Purdue e-Pubs with the deposit of Purdue scholarship, checking rights, creating metadata, and uploading materials with some student and part-time staff support.
The Digital Repository Specialist will collaborate with other Purdue Libraries and Press staff to establish repository guidelines, including policies and procedures and metadata standards. He or she will provide regular reports on progress and status and maintain both internal and user documentation. This position will be funded for a period of three years from the date of hire with possibility of extension.
- MLS or MIS from an ALA accredited institution, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of issues related to intellectual property, copyright, and deposit agreements.
- Working knowledge of one or more major descriptive metadata standards (Dublin Core, EAD, METS, MIX, MODS, PREMIS, or others)
- Demonstrated ability to plan and initiate effective programs, projects, and services.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, in a rapidly changing environment
- At least two years experience managing digital content in a library or publishing environment.
- Experience in health sciences or veterinary medical librarianship
- An understanding of content management systems (e.g., Joomla!, Drupal)
- Familiarity with one or more of the following: XML, database design and development, scripting languages such as PHP, Web‐authoring tools, and Web page development.
To be considered for the position, applications must be made through Purdue University's employment web site at: www.purdue.edu/hr/employment and reference Job Number 1300804. Please include a cover letter with your application outlining your qualifications for this position. Review of applications will begin June 3, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled. Questions can be directed to: email@example.com. Resumes or CV's sent to this email address cannot be considered. Please put "HABRI/e-Pubs" in the title of all email correspondence.