Early Childhood Outreach Librarian I / Intern, Beaumont Library District, Beaumont CA
posted June 11, 2013 4:05 PM
POSITION: Early Childhood Outreach Librarian I / Intern / Entry Level
DEPARTMENT: Early Childhood & Outreach Services
HOURS: 30-32 per week
SALARY: $21.50 - $25.50 per hour + benefits
DEADLINE: 30 June, 2013 at 6pm PDT
Under the direction of the Early Childhood & Outreach Senior Librarian, successful candidate will --
- Plan and deliver developmentally appropriate story times for the community and early care and education environments in the library district's boundaries using the resources of the Ready to Read Van (RRV).
- Deliver "Books and Babies" bags, "Play and Learn" kits, early literacy kits, and books to scheduled community and early care and education service stops using the resources of the Ready to Read Van (RRV).
- Develop additional and maintain current Early Literacy and Play and Learn Kits; deliver kits to designated stops on a monthly or bi-weekly time schedule.
- Promote early childhood services to local organizations, service and mom's groups, clubs, and agencies.
- Assist with developing a monthly training/seminar/informational session for parents, early care professionals and community members who work with children ages birth to five.
- Oversee and coordinate the Friends of Beaumont Library "Books and Babies" program.
- Implement monthly Saturday Family Fun Program and develop bi-weekly Saturday family story times for families with children ages birth - 5.
- Supervise Summer Reading Club (SRC) outreach activities for all early care and education environments and community venues.
- Become familiar with all the programs and services offered weekly at the library for families with children birth-5.
MLS from an accredited ALA institution and 1-2 years working as a children's librarian or assistant in a public library and/or; Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development and 1-2 years' experience working in an early care and education environment, e.g. preschool, nursery, child care center/home, cooperative preschool, etc. or a combination of a related Bachelor's degree and work experience. Ability to obtain an MLS within 3 years of employment when degree is other than an MLS. Thorough background knowledge of child development, early literacy, best practice in library service to young children and DAP. Requires at least 75% of the work to be performed outside of the physical library, driving a 24ft. Sprinter Van to various community service stops. Lifting and carrying 2-10lbs. early literacy kits in and out of the van. CA Driver License required or ability to obtain such within 10 days of employment.
SELECTED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Successful candidate demonstrates dynamic interpersonal, public speaking, presentation and interactive story time skills with an outstanding work ethic, attitude and flexibility in adapting to new programs and services. Developmentally appropriate practice and its principles are implemented at all early care and education environments, community outreach sites and at every in-house library program. Demonstrated knowledge of children's literature, especially focused on children birth - 8 years is essential. Creative thinking and problem solving skills, proactive customer service, and thorough planning and evaluation ability must be shown. Prior experience required for entertaining, engaging and teaching early literacy skills to young children using a picture book, as well as singing, dancing, puppetry, etc. Extensive experience interacting with children and adults in a formal learning environment, e.g. preschool, child care center/home, library, etc. is necessary. Demonstrated ability to read picture books aloud to groups of young children using the dialogic reading model and interactive early literacy skills to make the experience engaging and educational. Adherence to ALA's "Competencies for Librarians Serving Children in Public Libraries" document is a must.
Resume and cover letter by email only to ~ firstname.lastname@example.org ~ Subject: Early Childhood Outreach Librarian I