Head of Instruction Services, Boston College, Chestnut Hill MA
posted June 3, 2013 5:16 PM
* MLS from an ALA accredited school
* Minimum 7 years of post-MLS experience
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience developing, managing, and assessing an instruction program Position Details
Department: 060021 - O'Neill Library
Position: 00006065 - Head, Instruction Services
Grade or Band: 3RD Job Description Head of Instruction Services
The Boston College Libraries seek an innovative and collaborative Head of Instruction Services. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Instruction, Access and User Engagement, the Head of Instruction Services is responsible for the overall planning, development, marketing, implementation and management of library instruction and orientation services as well as the O'Neill Library research, information and technology support desks and the Information Commons. The Head of Instruction Services must be a hands-on leader, enthusiastically participating in library instruction while coordinating and assessing the instruction of others and able to managing change as the instruction program develops. The Head of Instruction Services will have the opportunity to shape the services available in a reconfigured Learning Commons.
Essential responsibilities include:
* Directing and participating in library instruction, orientation events, marketing efforts, and the research , information and technology support desks in O'Neill Library
* Assessing library instruction both within the department and across the BC Libraries which includes several special libraries
* Providing leadership, training and coordination for instruction and information services across all university libraries
* Supervising two Instruction Librarians, the Learning Commons Manager and seven staff as well as assessing the instruction activities of all liaison librarians
* Collecting and analyzing use statistics, preparing reports, and making recommendations for instruction and information services for the O'Neill Library
* Playing a leadership role in library-wide policy-making and in the development and evaluation of services, systems, and training programs related to teaching and learning programs and public service interfaces.
* Leading discussions about new service models including combining and/or creating service points within the libraries and with other University departments
* Working with other University departments to provide technology and digital media support for the BC community
* Maintaining an awareness of current trends, products and services, and advocates for and implements new initiatives.