High School Library Teachers, Newton North High School, Newton MA
posted June 19, 2013 4:20 PM
2013/2014 High School Library Teachers : Newton North High School
Appropriate DESE licensure required
2 positions available:
1.0 library teacher
.5 library teacher
The high school library teacher is responsible for working as a team member with the other library teachers assigned to Newton North High School to provide the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the library program is an integral part of the instructional program at Newton North High School (NNHS). The library teacher provides students with instruction in research techniques for print and electronic resources, in the skills and knowledge required to effectively use a library, and in the selection and appreciation of literature. The major services of the program are the support of classroom instruction via joint planning and collaborative teaching of lessons between the library teacher and the classroom teacher; group and individual guidance to students in the location, selection, and use of resources; and order, catalog, inventory, store, and distribute print and electronic resources including computers and peripherals, software, audiovisual, and other educational equipment. The duties also include assisting the Department Head in the development and expenditure of the budget, development and implementation of professional development workshops for teachers to help them better access, use, and integrate the resources available through the library in their classroom work with students, integrates the use of technology in the library, and assists in the evaluation of the program. The library teacher will report to and work cooperatively with the Library Department Head. In addition, the library teacher will work cooperatively with the Library Department Head, the Department Head of Instructional Technology, and with the Instructional Technology Specialists assigned to NNHS.
· Master's Degree in Library Science with a concentration in school libraries, or a Master of Education Degree in School Libraries.
· Previous experience as a Library Teacher in a school library media Center with a preference for Secondary experience
· Previous experience as the Librarian in charge of administering the library program or comparable experience preferred.
· Demonstrated knowledge of school library management and automation systems (Destiny)
· Demonstrated ability to implement technology into a school library setting and to integrate information literacy skills into curriculum along with the ability to use technology as an instructional tool
· Demonstrated teaching ability including providing Professional Development
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team possessing strong oral and written communications and interpersonal skills.
· Work with high school library colleagues to implement an effective library program that establishes the library media center as the learning laboratory of the school -- a facility available to all students and all teachers which provides materials and services relevant to the curricula, needs of the school community.
· Actively works with teachers on lesson and unit planning to help integrate information literacy skills and technology into the content curriculum of the classroom.
· Prepares well-organized lesson plans appropriate to the students, aimed at a clear learning outcome and in accordance with the library media curriculum guide; and effectively teaches from those lesson plans assessing the results.
· Provides teachers and students with resources integral to the curricula by locating, ordering, and making available books and software, and by locating Web sites and other electronic resources that aid students in effectively finding and using information.
· Communicates information about the library program to teachers, students, principal, parents, and the Director of Information Technology.
· Documents attainment of program objectives and uses assessment information for decision-making and the evaluation of the program to improve the delivery of services.
· Maintains a well-organized school library the evidences a purposeful atmosphere for academic pursuit and collaboration.
· Performs additional responsibilities as defined by the Library Department Head, school principal and/or the Director of Information Technology
Interested applicants should apply online at: http://www3.newton.k12.ma.us/
select the "Employment" link