Interlibrary Loan Supervisor (Senior Library Technical Assistant), Portland Public Library, Portland ME
posted June 18, 2013 4:15 PM
Portland Public Library, Maine's largest public library, is seeking a flexible, forward-looking and collaborative paraprofessional with strong technical and managerial skills to oversee Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Services to patrons, district libraries, and libraries worldwide. This position supervises a complex schedule of part- and full-time employees who perform varied tasks. The volume of activity of ILL services is very high and has been steadily increasing. As such, this position contributes to the dynamic growth of the Library and requires the ability to think on the systems level while maintaining very close attention to detail.
Principal responsibilities include:
1. Organizes and maintains efficient departmental workflow.
2. Supervises and trains ILL staff in departmental procedures and computer systems, including OCLC FirstSearch, Millennium, and Clio.
3. Explains and interprets ILL policies and procedures to area librarians and PPL patrons and staff.
4. Coordinates the implementation of Maine Infonet procedures both internally at Portland Public Library (PPL) and externally with other libraries in the Maine Infonet system; coordinates the activities of WorldCat as it relates to ILL Services.
5. Coordinates maintenance and updating of all ILL technology and office equipment, and online presence.
6. Manages the coordination of PPL's participation in the statewide delivery system.
8. Manages accounts payable and receivables for all ILL transactions.
9. Seeks opportunities for professional development.
10. Participates in special projects, tasks, and other duties as assigned.
11. Participates in maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for fellow staff and library users.
This position requires strong supervisory skills; a high level of ability to adjust to change, use technology efficiently, learn new tools quickly, and function well in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions; excellent customer service skills with a wide and diverse customer base;experience with a variety of ILL tools and processes; and a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent knowledge and experience. This position requires significant time at a computer terminal each day and is called upon to lift boxes weighing up to 25 lbs.
This is a 37.5 hour position with excellent benefits in a supportive and collegial work environment. Annual pay range is mid $30's to $40's.
Interested applicants, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.