Reference and Research Services Librarian, NYU Shanghai - New York University, Shanghai China
posted June 11, 2013 3:55 PM
The NYU Library in Shanghai invites applications for a Reference and Research Services Librarian in an innovative and forward-looking setting. As part of a collaborative team, the position plays a key role in the educational mission of NYU Shanghai by establishing strong relationships with faculty and students, and connecting them to the services, content and tools that meet their research, teaching and learning needs.
NYU Shanghai is the newest degree-granting campus within NYU's global network. It is the first Sino-US higher education joint venture to grant a degree that is accredited in the US as well as in China. A research university with liberal arts and sciences at its core, it resides in one of the world's great cities that is also a vibrant intellectual community. NYU Shanghai will recruit scholars who are committed to our global vision of transformative teaching and innovative research.
New York University has established itself as a Global Network University, a multi-site, organically connected network encompassing key global cities and idea capitals. The network has three degree-granting campuses - New York, Shanghai, and Abu Dhabi - complemented by 12 additional academic centers across five continents. Faculty and students circulate within the network in pursuit of common research interests and cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors, both local and global.
The Library of NYU Shanghai will deliver and coordinate a wide range of academic services that support the teaching, learning and research of NYU Shanghai's faculty and students. Drawing on the resources of the libraries at NYU New York, the NYU Shanghai library provides an opportunity to create a forward-looking 21st century library program and facility to serve a culturally diverse and academically talented population. NYU Shanghai is scheduled to open September 2013 with a class of 200 freshman and 150 visiting students, and is expected to grow over eight years to a target undergraduate student population of 2400 along with selected graduate programs.
The Reference and Research Services librarian serves as the primary liaison to a group of academic departments appropriate to the incumbent's academic background, with responsibilities for building collections in all formats that support research and curricular needs; delivering a program of instruction, consultation, and research support services; developing responsive outreach and other information services; and taking a leadership role on projects and initiatives as appropriate. Collaborative work with colleagues at NYU New York, NYU Abu Dhabi, and across NYU's global network is an important job expectation. Librarians at NYU participate in library and system-wide committees, and professional activities outside of the university.
- ALA-accredited MLS or ALA-recognized international equivalent
- Previous experience in instruction, collection development, and/or reference services
- High degree of facility with technologies and systems in academic library and information services, instruction, and research services
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated history of flexibility, creativity, and strong customer service commitment
- Academic background in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) discipline
- Second masters degree in a subject area relevant to the NYU Shanghai academic program
- Experience in a research university library
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment
- Chinese language skills; familiarity with Chinese culture
- Prior international experience
Excellent benefits include vacation package, relocation assistance and a generous retirement package. Salary commensurate with experience.
To ensure consideration, send resume and letter of application, including the name, address, and telephone number of three references to: Enrique Yanez, Director of Human Resources, New York University Libraries, 70 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be considered until the position is filled.