Taxonomist, Gannett Digital Ventures, Various Locations (or Remote)
posted June 10, 2013 7:57 PM
Gannett Digital Ventures has an opportunity for a taxonomist to join a recently formed group working on news taxonomy and auto-categorization projects central to company-wide strategic initiatives.
Our efforts deliver structure and categorization for a variety of end-user products, from content recommendations to targeted ad serving. We're able to discover and manage term and concept relationships with cutting-edge ontology management software and support editorial and advertising workflows with semantic text processing.
Expectations for the position are to become expert with specific software and an SME on taxonomy structures and content. Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Developing and maintaining Gannett-wide vocabularies, monitoring feedback, conducting content audits, identifying candidate terms and analyzing logs and other sources
- Monitoring and optimizing performance of the auto-tagging engine, including routine QA testing, tracking relevancy and accuracy of extractions
- Transforming data from a variety of sources for import into taxonomy/ontology management system
- Assisting in the development of products, services, and content management related initiatives for all Gannett properties
Specific job requirements include:
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science or similar
- Minimum of three years of experience in developing taxonomies and other controlled vocabularies, preferably in media/publishing or similar industry. Ontology development experience a plus
- Experience with text mining, entity extraction, semantic technologies, content analytics, and content enrichment tools: OpenText/Nstein, SAS, Smartlogic, Temis/Luxid or similar
- Experience with Taxonomy / ontology management software: Mondeca / ITM, MultiTes, Protége, Synaptica, TopBraid Composer, or similar tools
- An understanding of metadata application and familiarity with metadata standards (DCMI, IPTC,schema.org, etc)
- Data transformation and manipulation methods (XML/XSLT, SPARQL, etc)
- Understanding of SEO principles and an interest in following search trends and daily news a plus
- Experience establishing and promulgating taxonomy governance processes
- Experience documenting best practices and developing user documentation
- Experience with linked data projects a plus
Contact Joy Santos Garlock, the HR representative, JGARLOCK@gannett.com
Or apply online at: http://gannett.cb-mobile.com/
The position is remote or at any Gannett location.