Children's Services Branch Support Supervisor, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted July 1, 2013 11:53 AM
$29,303.48 - $39,071.31 annually; $14.04 - $18.72 hourly
A paraprofessional position with assigned supervision, report to Children's Services Branch
Manager and under the overall direction of the Youth Services Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists with supervision of the daily operations of assigned branch libraries.
- Coordinates and performs circulation activities.
- Acts as a liaison with the Main Library Circulation Department and with C/W MARS.
- Organizes the holds process and functions.
- Assists with readers advisory and reference services including the use of computers.
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Explains and enforces library policies and procedures to customers.
- Assists with training personnel, assigning work duties and schedules.
- Represents the library in the branch neighborhoods; assists with developing and maintaining awareness of neighborhood library needs, with emphasis on neighborhood youth.
- Works with joy.
- Assists with planning and conducting innovative library and outreach programs.
- In conjunction with supervisor and staff, assists with evaluating existing operations and new services.
- Recruits, interviews, trains, schedules and evaluates branch volunteers.
- Maintains monthly statistics.
- Provides reference and reader's advisory service other support, as assigned.
- Participates in staff training and development opportunities.
Performs other duties, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work units and level
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB
- Commitment to outstanding public service for children
- Ability to communicate well with customers and staff in person and in writing
- Ability to supervise
- Ability to learn and use library technologies
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to communicate well with people from different cultures
- Knowledge of the principles and correct usage of the English language including grammar, punctuation and spelling
Experience: One year of community public service work, such as library, day care center, recreation
program or classroom is preferable; one year of data entry experience; specific courses that have hands-on experience may be substituted for work experience; supervisory experience is preferable
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Schedule: May include evening and weekend assignments and regularly working at other branch libraries, Main Library, and on Mobile Services vehicle
Other: Ability to speak Spanish and/or other languages is preferred
Experiences with integrated library system, such as Evergreen ILS
All inquiries should be forwarded to the City of Worcester's Human Resources office email@example.com. Application deadline is Friday, July 5, 2013.