Emerging Technology and Systems Librarian, Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester NH
posted July 2, 2013 12:04 AM
The Shapiro Library at Southern New Hampshire University is seeking an innovative and talented librarian to join our team. The Emerging Technology and Systems Librarian reports directly to the Library Dean and provides leadership in building staff awareness of new and emerging technologies to improve library services and workflow. This faculty rank position provides oversight and planning for library systems, including Millennium and ILLiad, and assists the Electronic Resources Librarian in administering the electronic resource management system. This position also leads the development and management of the Shapiro Library portal site and keeps the library public website up-to-date.
This position includes, but is not limited, to the following responsibilities:
- Collaborates closely with University ITS to administer the Millennium integrated library system [ITS maintains the server] and act as vendor liaison
- Serve as Lead Administrator for interlibrary loan automation, including ILLiad, and coordinate updates and answer day to day system questions
- Act as the initial support for all library systems, software, and hardware problems and as the Shapiro Library Coordinator with ITS for software and hardware problems
- Act as the initial technology resource person for library staff and assist with special technology projects
- Train permanent and student staff as needed on library software
- Manage the user access troubleshooting guide
- Recommend and implement new technologies to improve library services and workflows
- Participate in the establishment of short- and long-range library information technology goals, objectives, and priorities
- Assess the impact of technology-based services on library users
- Manage and develop a knowledge base
- Provide scheduled reference services
- Develop and maintain research guides
- Provide library and information literacy instruction to undergraduate and graduate populations
- Serve as a library liaison to a designated school, division or department
- Participate in library-wide policy making and strategic planning
- Serve on library, university and professional committees
- Monitor and manage the Millennium and ILLiad budgets
- Maintain relevant statistics
- Occasional nights/weekends required
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
- Knowledge of content management systems and educational technologies (SNHU uses Blackboard 9 and Springshare products, Captivate, and SnagIt are some of the products in use by Shapiro Library).
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software problems.
- Reference and information literacy instruction experience.
- Knowledge of internet, print and online resources.
- Ability to work with students from a wide range of cultural, linguistic, and academic backgrounds.
- Desire and ability to instruct others in new technologies.
- Interest in empowering colleagues with technology.
- Commitment to public service
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the commitment to work as part of a team.
- Experience and proven ability to work collaboratively with others and to manage projects and initiatives.
- Understanding of technological trends and development relevant to academic librarians and information delivery on a university campus with both a traditional campus population as well as a rapidly growing online division.
- Two years academic library experience and with experience administering an integrated library system (Millennium preferred).
Click here for more information