Librarian III- Coordinator of Youth Services, Cranston Public Library, Cranston RI
posted July 13, 2013 4:21 PM
CRANSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
COORDINATOR OF YOUTH SERVICES
The Cranston Public Library is seeking candidates for the position of Librarian III- Coordinator of Youth Services. This is a professional, supervisory position under the direction of the Library Director and the Assistant Library Director. Responsible for management and operation of Youth Services for the Cranston Public Library system. This is a 35 hour per week position with some nights and weekends required.
The Cranston Public Library system consists of a central library with five branch locations. For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
Starting salary $54,485.98; $56,815.60 after six month probationary period.
October 1, 2013
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
- Five years public library experience, including two years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Supervises and evaluates multi-branch youth services department.
- Participates in selecting and training enthusiastic staff.
- Builds, manages and promotes extraordinary collections for children and families.
- Supervises, schedules, coordinates and evaluates multi-branch youth services staff.
- Plans, coordinates, supervises, creates and conducts innovative youth programs.
- Develops strong partnerships between library and other appropriate school and community agencies.
- Provides assistance directly to library users on the use of library services. Substitutes for professional staff in the library system as needed.
- Seeks out grants, donations and fundraising opportunities for program support.
- Promotes Youth Services programs and activities through marketing and public relations efforts.
- Coordinates data collection for statistical reports of Youth Services to administration.
- Advises on cataloging and classification of children's library materials.
- Stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship. Participates in continuing education opportunities within and beyond the library system.
- Acts as Person-in-Charge of the Central Library when assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to outstanding public service for youth.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and public library service to youth, in particular.
- Knowledge of administrative theories and practices including supervision and evaluation of the work of others.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Ability to resolve conflict with staff and library users.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of and passion for children's literature.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of current technological applications for information access. Ability to utilize web-based and subscription databases.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies; including social media, tablets and mobile devices.
Resumes received by August 5, 2013 will receive first consideration. Apply to Edward Garcia, Library Director at email@example.com