Library Assistant, New England College of Optometry, Boston MA
posted July 23, 2013 4:36 PM
The New England College of Optometry
The New England College of Optometry, a small, professional graduate school in Boston's Back Bay area, has an immediate opening for a full-time, benefits-eligible LIBRARY ASSISTANT. This position performs a variety of duties related to the support and provision of the library services, including circulation, course reserves, interlibrary loan/document delivery, serials management, archival processing and website maintenance. Ideal for a student working toward a master's degree in library science.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for students and faculty at the circulation/information desk, projecting an image of helpfulness, efficiency and professionalism.
- Responsible for efficient library services in evenings and on Sundays, including opening and/or closing the library, maintaining the library's security, supporting patrons' use of computers, scanners, printers and other equipment.
- Create and maintain records and reports in online system, including compiling statistics.
- Perform technical services duties including check-in and prompt claiming of print serials, and managing of bindery shipments. Physically prepare newly cataloged materials when required.
- Manage course reserves, including both print and online materials.
- In collaboration with the Circulation Coordinator and Saturday library assistant, receive, transmit and fulfill article and book requests from the collection or from interlibrary loan/document delivery sources.
- Manage library's website and help support the maintenance of the College's website.
- Hire, schedule, train and supervise work study students.
- Perform other related duties as necessitated by the position or as assigned.
- Previous experience in a library setting.
- Experience in an academic library is desired.
- Experience with an integrated library system is desired.
- Previous experience with web management.
- Interest in web 2.0 technologies also a plus.
- Mature, dependable and reliable work ethic is a must!
Sundays: 9am -- 4pm
Monday -- Thursday: 1pm -- 9pm
Sunday hours subject to change and all hours will vary during summer and academic breaks, as well as during reading and exam periods.
The College offers a starting salary in the low-mid $30s and excellent benefits.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and contact information for three (3) professional references to: