Library Assistant, Technology, Beatley Library, Simmons College, Boston MA
posted July 30, 2013 11:12 PM
Job Description: Library Assistant, Technology
Title: Library Assistant, Technology
Reports to: Systems & Web Applications Librarian
Direct Reports: None
Status: Full Time, non-exempt
Note: This is a pre-professional position. Eligibility is limited to qualified students currently enrolled in Simmons GSLIS Program.
Job Summary: This position will work under the direction of the Systems & Web Applications Librarian to support Library technology needs. Responsibilities include: supporting Library systems and software; assisting in website maintenance and improvements; providing basic hardware support for staff computers and printers; performing usability testing and other assessment measures; managing data entry and preparing reports in theIntegrated Library System (ILS); coordinating the hiring, scheduling, training, and supervision of student workers; engaging in Library-wide planning and projects.
Key work activities:
Offer support to Library systems and software programs
- Assist in troubleshooting, maintenance, enhancements, and system upgrades
- Provide appropriate access and permissions for users
- Assist in the implementation of recommended workflows and efficiencies
- Provide training to Library staff and patrons on technology systems and tools
Participate in the maintenance and development of Library websites
- Assist in maintaining and updating the Library websites
- Provide assistance with setting up new Library web applications
Provide support in testing and upgrading the Library's virtual interfaces
- Maintain appropriate documentation for Library web applications
Provide basic hardware support to staff computers and printers
- Troubleshoot and diagnose hardware issues
- Request support and resolution for technology issues from Simmons Technology
- Communicate with Library staff on the status of repairs and upgrades
Participate in the delivery of Library Services
- Employ technology and systems to optimize Library processes and operations
- Collaborate on technology needs for Library Administrative, Information, & Discovery Services
- Assist in implementing tools and mechanisms which support and enhance project management
- Contribute to the development of processes related to Library operations and planning
- Staff Reference Desk for one three-hour shift per week
- Determined by manager with flexibility for classes. May include evening and weekend hours.
- Bachelor's degree and current enrollment in the Simmons GSLIS program.
- Relevant experience and no more than 3 GSLIS courses.
- Keen interest in Library technology and a high aptitude for problem solving
- Competent analytical skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Interest in emerging technology
- Basic understanding of how websites work
- Familiarity with data management
To apply for the position visit: jobs.simmons.edu.