Project Manager, Worcester Public Library, Worcester MA
posted July 1, 2013 11:25 AM
$48,567.81 - $70,816.76 annually; $23.27 - $33.93 hourly
A high level professional supervisory position under the general direction of the Associate Head
Librarian with overall responsibility for assigned project (s)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages major initiative or service area (e.g., adult programming, adult collection, electronic resources & training, business/health/new American centers) by establishing targets, assigning and monitoring staff work, collecting and reporting metrics, and ensuring efforts are aligned with system strategic goals
- Hires, trains, schedules, supervises, evaluates, and inspires reference librarians
- Provides exemplary reference and reader's advisory service for customers; looks for opportunities to help customers feel welcome
- Teaches customers and staff use of basic and specialized reference tools, computer, equipment, etc.
- Builds, manages, maintains and promotes extraordinary collections in all formats
- Plans and implements programming
- Represents the library to the community
- Performs a variety of direct public service work such as, but not limited to, conducting bibliographic searching, providing readers' advisory services, assisting with circulation duties as needed
- Utilizes the best technological developments to enhance user's experience
- Collaborates with fellow staff members, city agencies and organizations
- Takes pride in our library, creating and maintaining beautiful displays and spaces
- Maintains professional growth, stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship, engages in professional activities
- Serves as Librarian-in-Charge as scheduled
- Performs other tasks, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work unit and level of responsibility
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrated knowledge in and experience with managing complex, challenging projects
- Proven managerial, organizational and project management skills in a library organization
- Evidence of leadership in the provision of knowledge access to library resources
- Keep current with knowledge of trends, issues and methods of information access to library resources as well as emerging technology
- Ability to form and nurture a productive team environment and work effectively with others
- Ability to plan short-term and long-term work objectives with staff
- Ability to assign tasks and to follow-up to ensure quality of work and completeness of tasks
- Ability to resolve conflict with staff/customers
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines
- Proven written and oral communication skills
Education: Master's degree in Library Science from a Graduate School of Library Science accredited by the American Library Association or approved by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Experience: Three years of professional library work after receipt of MLS with broad working knowledge of general reference practices in public libraries. Personnel management and/or supervision experience in a library setting.
Schedule: Includes evening and weekend assignments and working at other locations.
Travel: Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
Other: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently walk, stand, bend, stoop and reach above the head. Strength is needed to push loaded book trucks. The ability to work with the public for periods of a minimum of two hours at a time while maintaining good communication.
All inquiries should be forwarded to the City of Worcester's Human Resources office at email@example.com. Application deadline is Friday, July 12, 2013.