Assistant Director & Reference Librarian, Winthrop Public Library & Museum, Winthrop MA
posted August 9, 2013 1:58 AM
Duties/Description: This professional position combines the functions of a second in command administrator with those of the head of reference services. Assists the Library Director in all phases of library administration; including policy formulation and implementation; staff supervision; evaluation and development; budget planning and execution; community outreach; and care and use of the building. Has
full responsibility for the Library and its operations in the Directors absence. Establishes, manages and administers reference services at the library.
Reports to: Library Director
Supervises: This employee supervises the Circulation Supervisor, Childrens Librarian, Technical Services Librarian and custodial staff.
Job Environment: Work is performed under typical library conditions. Evening and weekend hours are required. The employee:
* Uses computers in all facets of the position.
* Has extensive interaction with the public, community groups, town employees and all library staff.
* Has access to confidential patron and employee data.
1. Supervises 4 full time and 5 part time employees, including professionals, and a great team of adult and teen volunteers. Responsible for carrying out all regular and new library procedures and policies.
2. Interprets and explains library policies and procedures to the public and handles complaints. Evaluates policies and procedures in light of daily operational effectiveness; suggests and implements changes with Directors approval.
3. Handles various delegated tasks involving care and upkeep of the building, including projects related to its improvement such as supervising installation of new equipment, attendance at all staff meetings, creation of new service/subject areas within the Library, etc.
4. Interfaces with NOBLE personnel and with the Technical Services Librarian, on all aspects of library automation; makes suggestions to Director for automation policies.
5. May host library programs. Helps to organize and produce other programs.
6. Attends automation network and other meetings/conferences as required. May represent the Library Director in his absence at Town Department/Committee meetings and at other meetings/conferences as directed.
7. Facilitates meeting of Library Department Heads as requested by Director.
Reference Librarian General: Provides reference services for users of adult library. Maintains and updates reference collection. Oversees local history collection and coordinates efforts to preserve museum materials. Supervises historical support staff. Interacts extensively with the public.
1. Provides a wide variety of reference services such as assisting middle and high school students with special projects and answering general and specific adult inquiries in person, on the telephone or via mail/email.
2. Oversees provision of bibliographic instruction for individuals and groups including teaching patrons how to use library services/resources/databases etc.
3. Conducts online searches in order to locate and deliver materials not owned by the Library.
4. Oversees collection development in all areas of the adult collection. Specifically the reference collection, non-fiction and young adult.
5. Manages acquisition/retention of materials in the non-fiction collection. Handles all collection development and weeding tasks of the non-fiction collection.
Qualifications: Qualifications: Masters Degree in Library/Information Science (MLS, MLIS) from an ALA accredited School of Library Science plus demonstrated supervisory experience (3 years or
more a plus), knowledge of automated library services, demonstrated oral and written communication skills. A valid drivers license and a two or four-wheel vehicle are required for NOBLE, MLS, and MLA meeting attendance as attendance requires.
Additional: Additional duties as assigned at the request of the Library Director and Board of Trustees.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions. The work requires standing, walking, sitting, talking and using hands for extended periods of time; at various times will require bending, stooping and lifting. Some equipment, books and/or supplies may need to be lifted up to 30 lbs.
Looking for someone full of energy and passion for what they do. Someone excited to update a reference collection and do some weeding. Someone to lead a top notch staff, and help the Director build a premier Young Adult collection from the ground up. Experience with Social Media, Wordpress, and Teen Services a BIG plus.
Salary: $47,000 - $51,666
Closing Date: 8/27/2013
Send: Please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Peter Struzziero, Library Director via email: email@example.com or through mail:
Peter J. Struzziero
Winthrop Public Library & Museum
2 Metcalf Square
Winthrop, Ma 02152