Assistant Head, African Studies Library, Boston University, Boston MA
posted August 31, 2013 7:06 PM
- Collaborate with the Head of the African Studies Library to develop policies and implement projects to achieve the collection and service objectives of this specialized library.
- Use web based scholarly resources, such as databases and journals to instruct and assist students and faculty in their research.
- Search and acquire materials published in Africa using sophisticated software systems for accounting, discovery, and fulfillment.
- Digitize key resources in the African Studies Collections for inclusion in BU's institutional repository, a growing, open repository which showcases BU resources.
- Publicize to faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, the scholarly resources and services available through the BU Libraries.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Exceptional technology skills, experience with databases, analytical tools and computers.
- Proficiency with digitization equipment (e.g. scanners, digital cameras), software, and an understanding of file formats.
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills with faculty, students, and staff.
- Highly proficient in the use of web-based scholarly resources such as databases, journals, digital collections, and bibliographic management tools.
- Ability to organize work, assess work priorities and effectively manage projects
- Ability to manage, coach, and train student workers in a collegial work environment.
- Knowledge of French or Portuguese and/or an African language highly desirable.
Education and Experience:
- B.A./B.S. required.
- Master's degree in Library Sciences and/or Africana preferred.
- At least three years of experience in a public services role in an academic library, preferably in an African Studies Library.
Salary: Grade 71
For more details and to submit an application, go to www.bu.edu/hr/ and search for tracking code 8656.