Childrens Librarian, Springfield City Library, Springfield MA
posted August 18, 2013 9:07 PM
SALARY: $42,296.65 - $42,296.65 Annually
OPENING DATE: 08/06/13
CLOSING DATE: 08/21/13 11:59 PM
Responsible for the provision of children's programs and services for the Central Library, including collection development of print and non-print materials, programming, reference services, outreach and similar duties pertaining to children's services, and assisting in developing and providing system-wide children's services. Work is performed under the direction of the Supervisor of Youth and Outreach Services. Supervision is exercised over other employees.
- Develops and implements collection development plans for the Central Library Children's collection. Selects, purchases, weeds, and maintains the children's collection at the Central Library.
- Creates and conducts programs for students, teachers and principals at preschools and elementary schools, acts as liaison with school department on matters related to curriculum, assignments, outreach, etc. Provides resources and references for student projects. Conducts school group tours for children.
- Maintains children's section of Central Library, creates subject bibliographies and assists branch librarians in children's collections.
- Coordinates the Early ChildhoodResourceCenter. Purchases materials, prepares for cataloging, maintains web page, sends newsletters, offers workshops, attends meetings, and prepares reports.
- Keeps abreast of child-related trends/popular reading interests and responds using a creative, lively approach to reach the child population. Keeps abreast of developments and technological advances in the library field through conferences, associations, etc.
- Initiates and engages in special projects that analyze, design and develop special services for children's audiences. Participates individually or in work teams to make recommendations for new initiatives or changes in service as they relate to the overall operation of the Library as related to children.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Specialized knowledge of children's reading interests.
- Ability to demonstrate vision, strategic thinking, collaboration and inclusive leadership skills, flexibility and adaptability and a willingness to embrace and drive change.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and writing skills.
- Specialized knowledge of classification systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree and completion of an American Library Association accredited Master of Library Science.
- Some library experience preferred but not required.
For more details and to submit an (online only) application, go to the City of Springfield Employment Opportunities Website: http://bit.ly/13NeeUk.