Digital Initiatives Librarian, Brandeis University, Waltham MA
posted August 14, 2013 5:40 PM
**Recent and soon-to-be MLS graduates are encouraged to apply**
Brandeis University, a private research university in the metropolitan Boston area, seeks a technology-savvy, innovative and service-oriented Digital Initiatives Librarian to join the library systems team. The primary responsibility of the position is to work collaboratively with
librarians, faculty and staff to plan, implement, maintain and support digital collections.
- Administration and configuration of the Institutional Repository and related systems, including planning and performing batch loads of new collections, and administering users and roles within the application(s)
- Technical support of faculty and staff in the use of the Institutional Repository
- Working in conjunction with Library Systems staff, vendor support staff and open source communities to troubleshoot and resolve problems with digital collection applications and systems
- Working with technologists and managers of other systems to provide integrated access to digital collections and other library resources
- Creation of short and long-term plans for digitization of selected materials, including working with content specialists and faculty members to set priorities for digitization
- Being active in the external digital library community, keeping current with developments and applications in the field of digital collection management, and recommending changes to local digital collection management activities based on industry developments
Required Qualifications include:
- Knowledge and experience working in Linux or Unix systems at the CLI
- Strong interest in administering and supporting digital initiatives applications and services
- Familiarity with metadata standards such as EAD, MARC, Dublin Core
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students
- Master's degree in library science or related field. Relevant work experience may be substituted for some of the required education. Recent and soon-to-be MLS graduates are encouraged to apply.
Preferred Qualifications include
- Experience with digital library applications such as DSpace.
- Familiarity with digitization projects and standards for various materials
- Experience with scripting languages
- Experience with CSS, XML, XSLT and harvesting standards.
- Experience in a research library or academic library
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
The successful candidate will be flexible, creative, and enthusiastic, with a strong interest in exploring and implementing emerging technologies and innovative services. S/he will possess a strong service commitment, with a desire to work collaboratively to carry out
complex projects. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the ability to operate and maintain digital library systems, and who have knowledge of current issues and trends in library technology, contemporary web design and, project management
How to apply:
Submit cover letter and resume as a single document at