Distance Learning Librarian, Norwich University, Northfield VT
posted August 28, 2013 1:21 PM
The Kreitzberg Library at Norwich University seeks a creative, tech-savvy and service-oriented librarian to join the library team in developing and providing instruction and other services to our distance learning population. Norwich University enrolls over 1,200 online students in the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies.
The Distance Learning Librarian develops procedures and implements programs for library distance education services. Serves as liaison to the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies. Develops and maintains instructional materials and technologies, and manages the library web presence for distance education. Provides support to distance learners and the faculty who create and teach distance education courses. Coordinates activities of library staff in their work associated with distance education. Collaborates with administrators, faculty, and staff to develop collections and services to support distance education programs. Participates as a member of team providing reference and instruction in a broad range of subject areas. Some evening/weekend hours required. Reports to the Head of Instructional Services.
• ALA-accredited master's degree in library and/or information science
• Knowledge of current and emerging trends in instructional technologies
• Knowledge of or experience in applying principles of instructional design
• Basic knowledge of designing web pages using HTML and CSS
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to work with various stakeholders and in team environments
• Ability to speak and write knowledgeably and effectively
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Demonstrated experience in learning and applying new technologies
• Experience providing online instruction
• Experience with online course management systems
• Experience developing online tutorials
• Experience providing reference assistance and instruction
• Knowledge of scripting languages and database design
This is a faculty rank, non-tenure track, appointment commensurate with academic achievements. Compensation includes a benefits package of medical, dental, group life and long term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, a retirement annuity plan, tuition scholarships for eligible employees and their family members, and generous professional development support.
Norwich University enrolls a civilian and military student body of 3,300 FTEs in undergraduate, professional and graduate programs. Most of the graduate programs are offered exclusively in an online environment. The library is a beautifully designed, fifteen year old facility with six floors. It contains more than 175,000 volumes and receives over 54,000 periodical titles in print or electronic formats. The library is part of a statewide library network and participates in several consortia.
Northfield, a New England village with population of 5,800, was founded in 1781, and is ten miles south of Montpelier, the Vermont state capital. It is 150 miles north of Boston and 100 miles south of Montreal.
More Information on Norwich University
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on September 20th, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.