Managing Librarian I, Lake Stevens Library, Lake Stevens WA
posted August 25, 2013 1:58 PM
Job # 7871
Starting Pay: $5,073.00 - $6,974.00, Monthly
The Managing Librarian I is responsible for managing all operations of the library, assuring effective operation of a full
array of services to local and regional customers. This position includes mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekend hours. Successful candidate may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs.
- Plan, develop, and direct programs to serve the needs of customers of all ages in the library service area and promote the mission and objectives of the Library District
- Direct the operation and maintenance of the library's physical facilities and equipment
- Direct the quality of reference work by staff and perform effective reference services
- Provide effective direction to assigned staff to assure the quality of public service; interview, select, and train staff; coach staff and arrange for or facilitate continuing training
- Assure the fiscal soundness of library operations; develop operating and capital budgets; negotiate and obtain budget approvals from local government officials; monitor and report expenditures compared to budget and initiate needed corrective actions to maintain fiscal integrity; direct daily accounting transactions for the library; review and approve purchases
- Perform effective library and reference collection management to provide for a materials collection appropriate for the needs and interests of the library's customers through research
- Perform effective community relations and promote library programs through presentations and negotiations with local government officials and various organizations
- Act as Sno-Isle's contact with city staff; liaison to local library board and staff support for local Friends of the Library.
Requires substantial knowledge of library operation and administration; direction of library staff; advanced reference and
bibliographic search methods and systems; collection management; fiscal administration; Library District policies and procedures; and public/community relations policies and methods.
Requires the ability to supervise staff in a manner that enhances performance and assures quality public service; manage physical facilities and library collections; administer budgets and fiscal assets; speak and understand English; make personal presentations to various public groups; work cooperatively and have favorable relations with public and co-workers.
These skills and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of experience and training including a required Master's degree in Library Information Science from an ALA-accredited college or university, the ability to obtain a Washington State Librarian certificate upon employment, and a minimum of four years of related practice in librarianship with a minimum of one year of supervisory experience.
Visit http://www.sno-isle.org/employment to apply.