Part-time Reference & Instruction Librarian, Manchester Community College, Manchester NH
posted August 15, 2013 3:01 PM
The Manchester Community College Library in Manchester, NH seeks an energetic, customer-service oriented Librarian to join its team. This is an entry-level position.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Reference & Instruction Librarian combines traditional library reference and instruction services with current and emerging technologies to design and develop engaging reference services, course-related library instruction sessions, and assessment of student learning of information literacy competencies. This position works within a student-centered, creative, and innovative reference and instruction team, providing exceptional customer service for a diverse population and academic curriculum. This position reports to the Library Director at MCC.
• Performs reference duties by assisting users with information and research needs in person, and via telephone, chat, and email.
• Develops, delivers, and evaluates general and course-integrated information literacy/ library instruction and reference programs in person and online.
• Creates online course research and subject guides.
• With the library instruction team, collaborates with faculty to introduce and integrate information literacy concepts and competencies into their academic coursework, and assess student learning outcomes.
• Collects and reports library instruction statistics and data as needed.
• Assists in the development and maintenance of the reference collection.
• Collaborates with professional library staff on policy documents.
• Provides basic technical support and troubleshooting on library computers, including Microsoft Office products.
• Attends seminars and serves on committees to stay current with professional development and campus issues.
• Complies with all college, system, state and federal rules and regulations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education: Master's degree in Library Science, from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association.
Experience: No experience required. Additional years of related work experience may not be substituted for the formal education required by this class specification.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience working in a library in a higher education institution is preferred. Experience using ACRL's Information Literacy Competency Standards to develop instruction lessons and workshops. Knowledge of print and online resources.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Evening and weekend availability required.
RECOMMENDED WORK TRAITS: Thorough knowledge of professional library techniques, systems and procedures. Knowledge of sources and procedures used in reference and bibliographical research. Knowledge of reader interest levels in relation to library patrons. Working knowledge of reference books and other information sources. Ability to use and explain library facilities including card catalogs and other reference aids. Ability to assist the public and others with specialized library problems. Ability to assign and supervise the work of technical personnel. Ability to present ideas effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public. Must be willing to maintain appearance appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities as determined by the colleges appointing authority.
How to Apply
All applicants who wish to be considered for this position are required to submit a Community College System of New Hampshire (CCSNH) Application. Unless specified otherwise, applications shall be accepted until the position is filled. Applications will require certification once submitted. Certification does not constitute or guarantee an interview. If applications pass certification, they will be forwarded to the hiring manager for consideration. When submitting an application, please designate the title of the position and position number for which you are applying.
In addition to submitting the CCSNH Application form, applicants are asked to include a current resume/curriculum vitae and cover letter.
Applications and other documents should be submitted to:
Manchester Community College
ATTN: Human Resources
1066 Front Street
Manchester, NH 03102