Reference Librarian - Substitute, Springfield City Library, Springfield MA
posted August 18, 2013 9:39 PM
SALARY: $20.34 - $20.34 Hourly
$19,567.08 - $19,567.08 Annually
OPENING DATE: 08/11/11
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Responsible for providing reference and resource information and material and programs to the general public for the City of Springfield's Library Department. Responsible for assisting patrons to find and use library materials or provide referral to other sources and other similar duties pertaining to the Information Services department. Work is performed in accordance with accepted practices and procedures in the field of library sciences related to reference and resource material with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent professional judgment under the general direction of the Branch Manager or Manager of Public Services who reviews work through observation, reports and conferences. Supervision maybe exercised over other employees.
- Provides reference and instructional services to the general public, branches and regional libraries. Monitors performance of the periodicals collection. Assists the Internet Services Librarian in web maintenance. Oversees the production of bibliographic aids and performs similar duties affecting system wide operations as required.
- Participates in the common work of the department including outreach, books by mail, formal instruction, collection development, web development and maintenance, compilation of bibliographies and other reader advisory products, displays, etc.
- Plans, schedules and implements bibliographic instruction and other programs for students, special interest groups or the general public in the use of library services and collection. Participates in system-wide staff training program.
- Initiates and engages in special projects that analyze, design and develop special services for various diverse audiences. Participates individually or in work teams to make recommendations for new initiatives or changes in service as they relate to the overall operation of the reference desks.
- Keeps abreast of developments and technological advances in the library field, current events, popular reading interests, and other issues necessary to maintaining awareness of public information needs. Conducts informal training of other personnel to increase awareness of methods and practices.
- Performs routine tasks such a taking payments for microform copies, counting daily cash receipts, keeping statistics, re-filing and re-shelving ready-reference materials.
- Performs other similar duties as responsibility and necessity dictate or requested by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of information provision theory and practice.
- Specialized knowledge of reading interests and developmental stages of children and teens.
- Ability to demonstrate vision, strategic thinking, collaboration and inclusive leadership skills, flexibility and adaptability and a willingness to embrace and drive change.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Creative problem solving skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree and completion of an American Library Association accredited Master of Library Science.
For more details and to submit an (online only) application, go to the City of Springfield Employment Opportunities Website: http://bit.ly/13NeeUk.