Head of Reference, Beverly Public Library, Beverly MA
posted September 15, 2013 12:25 AM
JOB OPENING: Head of Reference, Beverly Public Library, Beverly, MA.
We are looking for an innovative, info-savvy librarian to lead the reference department in a busy library (population 40,000). Our reference department provides customer service, tech-help and information to both
patrons and staff, as well as serving as our switchboard. In addition to supervising a full time and a part time reference librarian, the Head of Reference supervises and coordinates the reference services among the many additional professional librarians who take shifts in the department to provide continuous coverage while we are open.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for professional and supervisory work in planning, implementing, and managing a comprehensive program of service for the Reference Department. Maintains Plan of Service for Reference Department and staff manuals, etc. as needed. Keeps informed about issues, services, and innovations related to Reference Department. The work requires the exercise of considerable skill, initiative, and independent judgment.
• Trains and supervises Reference Department personnel.
• Schedules and holds regular meetings with other reference staff to discuss reference services, problems, new software, etc. Also schedules and holds meetings with all library staff members who work shifts at the reference desk, to go over procedures, changes, new resources, new technology, etc. that they might need to know while working the desk.
• Selects materials for Reference Collection, Periodical Collection, and Beverly Room Collection. Keeps track of ongoing expenditures for these collections.
• Oversees the selection of online resources, including databases and other information tools. Tracks usage statistics and expenditures for these collections.
• Responsible for working at the Reference Desk to assist patrons in a friendly and professional manner with their information needs. Responds to Reference requests that come in via mail, email, telephone, fax, etc.
• Establishes a "customer service" attitude for all those working at the reference desk.
• Participates in manning the 24/7 reference chat during library's scheduled coverage time.
• Collects appropriate statistics on reference use. Reports statistics to Library Director.
• Participates as required in the preparation of the annual budget. Keeps track of money spent; anticipates costs for coming fiscal year.
• Participates in both selection and collection development for the adult collection.
• Oversees the maintenance and weeding of the Adult Non-Fiction collection.
• Serves as the library liaison with the NOBLE IT personnel.
• Instructs patrons in the use of the online catalog and other Library resources.
• Troubleshoots various equipment, such as microform machines, PCs, printers, fax machines, etc. Maintains and upgrades PC's, printers and software.
• Coordinates and supervises volunteers for the Reference department.
• Develops and oversees digitization of local history materials and other special collections.
Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate school accredited by the American Library Association, plus a minimum of three years experience in a public library setting. Proficiency in working with a variety of software, including Microsoft Office, ILS systems (Evergreen preferred), standard databases, etc.
$48,613 - $61,399
October 4, 2013
Send letter of application and resume to Patricia Cirone, Library Director, Beverly Public Library, 32 Essex Street, Beverly, MA 01915 or email firstname.lastname@example.org