Head of Youth Services, Haverhill Public Library, Haverhill MA
posted September 18, 2013 4:56 PM
HAVERHILL PUBLIC LIBRARY - HEAD OF YOUTH SERVICES
Hours of Work: Full-time/40 hours per work; flexible schedule includes evenings and weekends (September - May Sundays).
Salary Range: $42,047 - $49,326 (Steps 1-5, City of Haverhill salary scale and benefits)
Reports To: Library Director
This is a department head position with overall responsibility for Youth Services at a busy, service-oriented, urban library. Under general direction, the Head of Youth Services supervises a staff of five, coordinates the delivery of services and programs to children and young adults; is responsible for bilingual collection development; insures effective communication with other departments; assists customers in identifying and locating appropriate materials using electronic, print and other resources; and trains customers in the use of all resources.
- Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association-accredited school
- A minimum of five (5) years progressive library experience, required
- A minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience, preferred
- Experience working with children and teens, required
- Experience with employee selection, training, and supervisory methods
- Demonstrated facility and experience with computers, Internet, and related electronic technology, including online resources and social networking tools,
- Demonstrated knowledge of library science and technology, including current library trends and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the community,
- Demonstrated ability to assess community needs and interpret them into library service.
- Ability to sit and use computers or other library equipment for extended periods
- Ability to perform a moderate amount of bending, squatting, stooping, lifting, and stretching
- Valid Massachusetts driver's license and travel by personal automobile frequently required
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail to Carol Verny, Director, Haverhill Public Library, 99 Main Street, Haverhill, MA, 01830, by October 11 for first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.