Library Intern, Management Sciences for Health, Cambridge MA
posted September 15, 2013 12:04 AM
Institution: Management Sciences for Health
Job: Library Intern
Start date: October 1, 2013
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of approximately 2,500 people from 74 nations. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world's poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
MSH seeks an undergraduate or graduate student to work as a library intern with its librarian and Organizational Learning team. In conjunction with the Office Strategic Development and Communications (SDC), the position with the MSH library provides interns with a unique opportunity to gain experience in a special library in the public health field as well as to see first-hand the information needs of an international non-governmental organization. This internship is through December of 2013, with the possibility of extension through one academic year.
This unpaid internship will allow the Library Intern to:
- Gain an understanding of the information needs of a global organization working in public health.
- Acquire day-to-day experience working in a special library with a solo librarian.
- Gain familiarity with a variety of aspects of library services.
The Library Intern creates technical briefs in public health areas and provides circulation, cataloging, and research support to the MSH librarian.
- Create technical briefs in public health areas (including Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health; HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis; and Family Planning/Reproductive Health).
- Process print and electronic documents for MSH's corporate archive.
- Assist with day to day library needs as well as reference and research requests as assigned.
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree (MLIS candidates preferred but equivalent undergraduate or library work experience will be considered).
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative and judgment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work on site at MSH's Cambridge, Mass. location 5-10 hours per week.
Please submit resumes along with a writing sample by September 20, 2013. Materials may be submitted to:
Management Sciences for Health
784 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02139