Reference Librarian, Bryant University, Smithfield RI
posted September 24, 2013 5:47 PM
This public services position reports to the Head of Reference Services and is responsible for providing customer service oriented, accurate and effective library resource guidance, and information literacy instruction to the University community.
This is a 12 month part-time position, working approximately 30 hours per week (.75 Full Time Equivalent), with full benefits. The position requires a flexible schedule that follows the academic calendar and includes evening and weekend hours. Schedule: Tuesday 4:00-10:00 p.m., Wednesday 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Thursday 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Friday 5:00-9:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Winter intersession and summer schedule will require a shift to daytime hours on Friday, 12:00-4:00 p.m. Other variable schedule changes may be necessary according to the needs of the library.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Provide timely and effective use of library resources and offer reference support to meet patron needs through in-person and electronic communication (i.e. email, text, instant message).
· Provide information literacy instruction to promote critical thinking and create independent researchers and to facilitate the use of library resources and services to the community (students, faculty, staff and alumni) through effective classroom demonstration, active learning workshops and university-wide outreach.
· Assist the Research and Instruction team in the preparation of online subject guides, related special projects, collection development, faculty outreach, and management of Research and Instruction department student employees.
· Perform Access Services functions (i.e. borrowing and lending), facilitate opening/closing of the library building as needed and field management issues when on duty as the sole member of administrative staff.
· Perform other duties as directed.
This position is best filled by an energetic, innovative, flexible and highly motivated individual with an ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree and previous library experience. Qualified candidates will demonstrate understanding of business reference, and have a strong interest in teaching and commitment to student learning. The ability to work independently and in a team environment with faculty, students, administrators and library personnel at all levels is critical. Excellent oral and written communication skills, familiarity with library trends and standards, experience with current electronic resources and programs, and comfort with social media and emerging technologies are imperative. Outstanding work ethic, strong commitment to high touch, client-centered services and adaptability/flexibility required. Knowledge of web development, word processing and spreadsheet software is important. Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.
For more information about the application process: https://employment.bryant.edu/