Children's Librarian, Librarian I, Beatley Central Library, Alexandria VA
posted October 31, 2013 4:13 PM
Under the direct supervision of the Youth Services Manager, the incumbent is responsible for assisting children and caregivers at the Children's Information Desk and providing general support for the Youth Services Department, including programming, collection development and outreach.
- Answers all types of reference questions using traditional, electronic, and internet sources in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Assists patrons in selecting and locating materials.
- Plans and performs children's programs including story times for babies, toddlers, preschoolers and school-age children.
- Visits schools to promote library events such as summer reading.
- Stays abreast of new children's literature in order to better provide readers' advisory services.
- Compiles bibliographies on subjects of interest to children and parents.
- Conducts shelf reading and weeding of collection.
- Demonstrates use of catalog and electronic databases to patrons.
- Designs attractive, thematic book displays.
- Interprets policies and procedures of the library to the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Ability to communicate clearly and in a friendly and positive manner with staff and library patrons from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of integrated library systems and technology.
- Knowledge of children's and young adult literature.
- Experience in a library or educational setting
- Enthusiasm for the work and a willingness to try new things.
Minimum: Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
40 hours per week. Hours will be scheduled to meet the needs of the children's department and will include one evening per week, every third Saturday and occasional Sundays.
??-?? per hour, depending on qualifications. Eligible for pro-rata annual and sick leave, health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance and retirement plans.
Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke St., Alexandria, VA 22304
Send/Fax Cover Letter, Resume and three references to:
Joy Oliver, Youth Services Manager, Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304-2903, Phone 703.746.1735, Fax 703.746.1763; firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at www.alexandria.lib.va.us.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED