Librarian - Digital Repository /Archivist /Special Collections, California State University, Long Beach, Long Beach CA
posted October 17, 2013 5:11 PM
Master's degree from an American Library Association-accredited program and institution by the date of appointment.
Demonstrated post-MLS experience working with digital archives, digital repositories, and/or Special Collections in an academic environment.
Demonstrated knowledge of archival theory and practice and technological applications related to digital repositories, archives, special collections, and records management.
Working knowledge of metadata description tools (EAD, MODS, METS, XML/XSL and other data structure standards) relevant to the archival control of digital collection materials.
Demonstrated knowledge of best practices as well as emerging trends for digital repositories, digital archives, and records management.
Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication skills, and project management skills.
- Commitment to and/or expertise in educating and serving a diverse student population.
Additional graduate degree OR certificate in Archival Studies, OR an Archival/Special Collections emphasis in an MLIS program.
Experience working collaboratively with college/university faculty, staff, and students.
Working knowledge / hands on experience with digital repository programs (i.e. DSpace, bepress, ContentPro, etc).
Strong technical skills: format validation and conversion methods; data integrity techniques and technologies; long term storage planning; and digital asset management systems.
Working knowledge of intellectual property and copyright issues related to digital repositories, archives and special collections use.
Demonstrated experience in teaching library resources in a reference environment and/or classroom setting.
Ability to evaluate, select, and review information resources in relation to curricular and collection needs.
Familiarity with preservation theory and current research and practices regarding risks to digital collections, such as technological changes, natural disasters, interoperability of software, and security issues.
A record of involvement in library and/or archivist professional organizations.
- Oversee and manage the University's digital institutional repository, Scholarship @ the Beach (S@tB).
- Oversee the University Library's Special Collections and Archives unit.
- Oversee and manage the digitization of several archival collections.
- Collaborate with library Technical Services staff and Academic Technology staff to make the digitized collections available via the library's web portal.
- Provide reference and consultation services to the student, faculty, and visiting scholar patrons; conduct library instruction for classes by interpreting and helping students to appreciate the unique and rare resources.
- Assume responsibility for outreach and the marketing of S@B, Special Collections/Archives services to the campus and outside constituents.
- Work closely with subject librarians and other members of the University community as appropriate.
- Serve a rotation at the central reference desk approximately 6 hours per week including some nights and weekends.
- Engage in library and university governance and scholarship, including research and publication required for tenure and promotion.
- Oversee the work of staff and student assistants assigned to S@B, Special Collections/Archives.
The University Library at California State University, Long Beach welcomes and encourages diversity. We seek applicants and nominations from those who have experience teaching, mentoring, and developing research in ways that effectively address individuals from historically underrepresented backgrounds. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. California State University, Long Beach is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Letter of application addressing the minimum and desired/preferred qualifications
- CV (including current e-mail address)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- Finalists will also be required to submit a signed SC-1 form and an official transcript.
Applications, required documentation, and/or requests for information should be addressed to:
California State University, Long Beach
Nancy Karnofel - Library Administration
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-1901
Review of applications to begin November 1, 2013
Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled)